Chapter five

Chapter five

Both girls ran as fast as their dresses would allow them, circling around the goats who charged them instantly. The climb to the cave entrance seemed to far away like they would never reach the rocky mountain bottom, yet in reality it couldn't be more than a few more feet.

Once they reached the mountain's base, they began climbing as quickly as possible. It was painfully difficult in sandals, and there weren't many footholds. The goats below nipped at their heels, but luckily didn't follow them up.

Panting and gasping for breath, the pair crawled into the cave, lying with their backs to the ground just staring at the cave's ceiling until they could breathe properly again. The sounds of rabid goats gradually quieted, until the only sounds were the female's breathing and the waterfall echoing of the cave walls.

"Is your hand alright, Zaahira?" Amirah asked, sitting up slowly.

"Uhm..." The blonde sat up and flexed her wounded right hand, wincing. "I don't know." The bite was bleeding, the area around it red and swollen. "I-I think it's turning...purple?" Taking a closer look, she could see the red skin was gaining a violet hue.

Amirah moved to get a closer look, "Oh my goodness, it is! How does it feel?"

"It doesn't really hurt," Zaahira decided, looking her hand over more. "I'm fine." In spite of her words, the would quickly darkened, the purple beginning to turn black.

"Clearly that goat poisoned you, we need to get you a cure!" Amirah insisted. "No way are you alright."

"The djinn might have one, right?" Zaahira spoke. She shrugged, "It's probably not fatal, anyway. You don't need to worry about me, Princess."

Amirah bit her lip. Growing up in a country full of healing magicians, illness of injury was never a real threat. but now, there was no one around to help. It was on Amirah to find a cure for her friend. "Can you climb with one hand?"

"I can't..." Zaahira admitted. She tried to move her hand again, but was unable to without crying out in pain. "I can't even move my hand anymore..."

This only worried the princess more. "Ok, ok. We'll figure this out..." She glanced around the cave, vainly looking for something to help. It was dark and damp, and gave off an ominous vibe. Amirah wanted to leave immediately. She stood and turned her back towards Zaahira, "Climb on my back."

"What?"

"I'm going to carry you," Amirah clarified.

"Up the mountain? That's insane!"

"Come on, before you get worse." Amirah crouched, and Zaahira reluctantly climbed on, careful not to disturb Akido, who was silently sleeping despite their circumstances.

"You're crazy." Zaahira shook her head as Amirah adjusted their positioning.

"How else are we going to get you help?" Amirah stepped out of the cave and began climbing. It was a lot harder than she imagined, and Zaahira a lot heavier.

"I don't understand why you do so much for me, Princess..." Zaahira sighed.

"Because, you're my friend. My only friend."

"Still..."

~

It was just after Princess Amirah's twentieth birthday. Besides the abundance of golden treasures and other valuables she's received from the country, Amriah's favorite gift was from her brother, Armakan. He'd given her a fan made of real gold and snow white feathers. It was beautiful, and Amirah loved it, vowing to carry it with her everywhere.