Chapter fifty

Chapter fifty

Once things began to relax more, Askalian soldiers were sent to retrieve Queen Marianna's body as well as assess the damages done to the palace. The foreign visitors were each given quarters to stay in, though they all planned on returning to their respective countries as soon as possible. Most of them were able to get a decent night's sleep as well- contrary to the Askalian royalties, all of which were wide awake the entire night, Prince Alex especially haunted by the day's events.

Just as shocked as Alex were Amirah and Zaahira, the pair sharing a room and eventually a bed together when night terrors kept them from sleeping on the first night, and several after that. Amirah, especially, was detached and emotionless, yet constantly anxious and easy to startle. It was of no surprise to her siblings and Sinbad, though. She'd been through a lot in the past few months. She needed support and space, and they were more than willing to give it.

Over the week that those from Heliohapt and Sindria were in Askal, Amirah kept mostly to herself. She ate little, and spoke even less. She avoided Leonidas and his siblings like the plague, as well as Sinbad for the most part. With everything that was going through Amirah's mind, she couldn't think highly of herself. With that, she no longer found herself suitable for Sinbad, nevermind the fact that she felt awful for everything else she'd done to him. He was better off without her, and she was better off avoiding him.

It hurt, sure. It had hurt ever since she left Sindria, which felt like centuries ago now. But it was almost impossible to distinguish that pain amongst everything else she felt. At this point, her feelings and concerns towards Sinbad and their relationship were the least of her worries. But she couldn't avoid him and everyone else forever- she knew that.

She couldn't attend Marianna's funeral. Neither could Alex, Amirah learned, when she'd run into him on her way away from the ceremony. He was completely dishevelled, his hair and normal attire a mess. He clammed up at the sight of Amirah, the princess mirroring his reaction.

"Amirah..." Alex started, blinking rapidly and looking around until his gaze focused on their feet. "I...haven't seen you around, I was, uh...worried."

Taking a deep breath, Amirah willed her heart to return to its normal rhythm. "You don't get to be worried about me. Not after everything."

"I...I know. I don't expect you to forgive me. Not now, or ever, really. I'm still glad you're alright, though," Alex spoke. "Uh...I heard my father wants to hold a meeting tonight with King Sinbad and King Armakan...did you get invited?"

"I did," Amirah nodded somewhat, crossing her arms and shifting her weight.

"Are you...-?"

"I haven't decided yet," Amirah cut him off to answer.

"Oh...well...I wasn't invited, but I think Leon-," Alex faltered as Amirah tensed, her fingernails digging into her arms, "...was." Alex shuffled about, thinking about what he wanted to say thoroughly before speaking, for once. "Look, I'm sorry, again, I really am. I'll stay away from you from now on. I...hope you have safe travels back to...wherever you choose to go." Then, before Amirah could say anything -not like she wanted to, anyway-, Alex turned and sped away, forcing himself to push his awkwardness away and not look back.

Amirah remained still for a few moments, watching the prince leave. She thought over his words carefully. Her upper arms had crescent-shaped cuts in them, Amirah realized, as she contemplated. She began walking, barely paying attention to where she was going, and eventually forgetting she was even moving in the first place.

What was she going to do once everyone was prepared to leave?

She couldn't go back to Sindria. Amirah knew that. But going back to Heliohapt meant returning to her mundane, old, life. It also meant keeping Zaahira from what she wanted to do. It was the same old story, same old set of excuses and concerns. Amirah was sick of this, and she knew everyone else was too. She squeezed her eyes shut in frustration.