Chapter twenty nine

Chapter twenty nine

Later that night, Amirah was walking to her room in a sullen silence, the letter from Armakan neatly tucked into her sash. She hadn't told Sharrkan, nor Sinbad yet; she didn't know how. Zaahira was eerily quiet about it as well, unwilling to tell anyone why she wasn't as enthusiastic as usual.

"Amirah, wait up!"

The princess slowed at Sinbad's voice, turning to him with a kind smile, "Good evening, King Sinbad."

Sinbad pouted, "Just 'Sinbad', I said."

"Sorry," Amirah apologized, chuckling lightly. She turned to start walking again, surprised when Sinbad caught up to her and intertwined his hand with hers. She looked back up to him curiously, and he gave her a bright, close-eyed smile. Amirah couldn't help but laugh.Typical Sinbad.

Once they neared their doors, Amirah turned around to Sinbad, taking the hand that held hers into both of her hands. She opened her mouth, prepared to tell the king about her letter from Armakan. To tell him she's betrothed. Betrothed to some prince who lived on the other side of the world that could be fifteen for all she knew.

Suddenly, Amirah couldn't tell him. She didn't want to leave Sindria. She didn't want to leave him.

Then, Sinbad spoke: "Amirah, I lov-"

"I feel the same towards you." Amirah interrupted him. She blushed. That was such a weird way to say it! Why did I say that?!

Nonetheless, Sinbad's face lit up like a child in a candy shop.

Seeing him so happy only made Amirah's heart ache more. I need to talk to Brother Armakan... She leaned up and gave Sinbad a long, loving, kiss before pulling away and saying: "Good night, Sinbad."

"Good night, Amirah," Sinbad replied. He watched as she released his hand, giving him another smile before disappearing into her room. He could tell something was up. He'd heard Zaahira was acting a bit out of character that afternoon. Sinbad knew a letter had been delivered to Amirah, but its contents nor sender were known to him.

Could it have been an anonymous letter from her captors? It was extremely unnerving how they were nowhere to be seen. They'd been so infatuated with Amirah, but then suddenly they drop her off at Sinbad's doorstep? It didn't make sense.

Sinbad stepped towards his door, opening it and closing it to make it seem he'd entered his room. Then he stood near Amirah's door, listening in as he heard her activate an Eye of the Rukh.

~

Amirah sat on her bed with her knees up, holding the Eye of the Rukh in her hands with her arms propped against her knees. It took quite a while for the Clairvoyance Magic to connect, and when it did, Armakan didn't even look up to greet her:

"Amirah... You couldn't have called Narmes with your questions? It's late and I am very busy."

"Surely you have enough time to talk with your sister?"

Armakan looked up at this, surprised. "You've changed quite a lot, haven't you?" He couldn't recall a time when Amirah had insisted he listen to her before.

"I like to think so," Amirah replied evenly.

After a moment of silence Armakan asked, "I assume you're calling about the letter I sent you?"

"Yes."

"Have you told King Sinbad yet? I'd like you here as soon as possible."

"I actually wanted to ask you to reconsider, Brother Armakan."

"Impossible. King Alexandros refuses to take no for an answer." Armakan paused to sigh, "It's rather annoying, really."

"There has to be another way."

"If we don't, war could ensue. You don't want that blood on your hands, Amirah."

"You know the Alliance would help!" Amirah found herself repeating Zaahira's words.

"Amirah," Armakan lifted his head from his work again. If looks could kill, Amirah would surely be dead. The king leaned back in his chair, asking, "Are you reluctant because you've fallen in love?"

"Of course not!" Amirah denied, willing her tone to remain calm. Her sibling continued to watch her with eyes like a hawk, clearly not willing to back down. Amirah held his gaze for a few moments before backing down sheepishly.

"You're going to be wed with the second prince of Askal in a week's time. It's your duty as a princess of Heliohapt, Amirah. I suggest you pack and say your farewells." King Armakan reached over to his Eye of the Rukh, ending the call with a simple touch.

He'd won.

Amirah sighed and dropped the magic tool onto the bed, pulling her knees closer to her chest. She began questioning why she had even tried talking to Armakan. She knew it wouldn't work. He was just as stubborn as she was, evidently. Slowly, her thoughts took over, and she realized something.

"It's your duty as a princess of Heliohapt."

That's right...I'm a princess. All I've ever wanted was to be useful to the Alliance... This is my chance, isn't it? Amirah raised her head; she'd made her decision. She would travel back to Heliohapt, with or without Zaahira, and finally prove herself useful to everyone. To Armakan, to the Alliance, to Sinbad.

Suddenly full of energy, Amirah leap out of bed and out of her room, not noticing the purple haired king beside her door until he caught her wrist in his hand, stopping her from running down the hall like she'd planned.

Whirling around, Amirah felt a wave of sadness and surprise wash over her as her eyes landed on the king, "S-Sinbad?!"

"When did you plan on telling me, Amirah?" Sinbad spoke calmly, letting go of Amirah's wrist. He'd heard everything, and it felt like a stab in the heart.

"Tell you what?"

"That you're betrothed," Sinbad crossed his arms, his tone deadly serious. "How long have you known?"

Amirah turned her head away, guilt taking over. "I just got the letter today."

"Did you plan on telling me?"

"I did. I tried. It's just..." Amirah clenched her teeth, already holding back tears. She didn't want Sinbad to be angry with her, but she had to go. Not King Armakan nor King Alexandros would listen to reason. And besides that...

Sinbad sighed, letting his shoulders relax. He placed a hand on Amirah's shoulder, "Let me try talking to King Armakan, alright? I'm sure he'll listen to me." He tilted his head, trying to catch Amirah's attention. "You do want to stay here, don't you?"

Her voice barely a whisper, Amirah replied, "I do..."

"Then I'll figure it out tomorrow. For now, get some rest."

"Okay..." Amirah remained still until Sinbad left to his room. Then she trudged into her own room, her mind at war with itself. She wanted to stay, but she didn't have a choice. She wanted to prove herself, yet she loved Sinbad.

It was nearly impossible to choose, but Amirah knew she'd have to go. Her relationship with Sinbad was wrong, forbidden. She was merely a princess. She silently cursed herself for forgetting. Amirah had let herself relax far too much; been away from her duties far too long. Her vacation was over, her fairy tale ending a distant dream. Reality had hit her like a boat, and although it was painful, Amirah made up her mind.

~

Author's Note-

the past two chapters have been a wild ride for Amirah's emotions lmao

also used 'hit her like a boat' cause yanno trucks aren't a thing??? xD