Chapter eleven

Chapter eleven

For the next few weeks, Lee and Al teamed up and -despite their mother's orders- tortured Amirah with torture she hadn't even known was a thing. What they had done to her when she first arrived was nothing compared to what she was experiencing now- but she refused to give up. Nearly suffocating her, drowning her, sometimes even burning her- though thankfully Anne stopped them once it escalated too far. She hadn't leaked a word- not that she knew much anyway. She held on to the belief that Sinbad or her brother were on their way to rescue her, and if not, she'd be sure to break out herself.

Amirah was surprised at how angry and vicious Al had become. Someone had clearly ticked him off, or said something that hit extremely close to home. Could it have been her? Did she trigger something in the once-skittish teen? She was teasing him rather harshly...

It didn't matter, though. Now they were on mutual terms- he hated Amirah and Amirah hated him. Now if only she could find a way out...-

"Lee, Al, stop. Mother wants to see us." Anne's voice broke the brothers and Amirah from their thoughts.

Amirah lifted her tired, wet, head, trying to make sense of what was happening.

"What does she want?" Lee asked, dropping a small scalpel onto a metal table on wheels with a loud 'clink'.

"Something about 'taking this from another angle'. I have no idea."

Amirah blacked out before she could hear more, the last thing she saw being Al casting a final angry glare over his shoulder at her.

~

The next time Amirah woke up, she was alone in her cell. She wasn't cautious long, only a few seconds. This happened several times, and so often Amirah wasn't sure if her moments awake were actually reality or strangely vivid dreams. She seemed to be drifting between fiction and reality, and she never had time to question why. Either her wounds were so bad she was bleeding out, or they had drugged her with something purposely.

During one of these occurrences, everything was dark. As if she had a cloth bag over her head. She was being moved- hauled by someone who couldn't carry her weight. A female's voice. A bitter man's reply. Stronger hands picked her up, tossing her onto something that rocked and splashed water into her face. A boat? More muffled arguing. Everything sounded and felt so distant, Amirah still couldn't tell what was real.

Suddenly someone was close, muttering an apology into her ear that wasn't pressed up against the wooden boat's floor. Amirah tried to move to see who it was, but even the slightest turn of her head hurt. She felt a pinch in her neck, making her gasp. Weariness washed over her once again, and she struggled to hold onto her cautiousness in vain.

~

A young girl skipped along Sindria's shoreline, searching for pretty seashells buried in the sand. Her mother and father watched her carefully from several feet behind, smiling as their child collected tons of shells in her small arms until they were overflowing.

The girl gasped and dropped her growing collection when she spotted a bright golden something sticking out of the sand. Digging it up, she saw it was a feather fan with a golden handle. "Hey, mummy! Look!" She turned back to her parents and held up the fan.

Her father walked closer, looking at the fan with curious eyes. "Is that...an eight-pointed star? Isn't that the symbol for a djinn...?"

"Honey..." The mother clasped her hands over her mouth in shock, looking at something behind her daughter. "Is that a body?"

The husband tore his eyes from the fan, instead widening them at a tan-skinned body lying in the sand. Rushing over, he instantly searched for a pulse. "She's still breathing! We need to tell the guards!" He scooped the surprisingly-light girl into his arms, her silvery-white hair flowing freely.

"She must be a metal vessel user!" The man's wife spoke as they rushed back to the kingdom. She glanced over at the girl. She was covered in cuts and bruises, all coated in sand and saltwater. "She's from Heliohapt too, isn't she?"

"Could she be the princess that went missing?" The man asked.

The woman gasped, "She must be! We must get her help quickly!"

~

Author's Note-

Sorry for A- being late-ish with the chapter and B- having the chapter be shorter than usual

Not one of my best works, but I suppose it's alright...