Chapter twenty seven

As night fell upon the world, one by one families retreated to their beds, bringing their children inside and closing their shops for the night. The docks and ports began closing as well, sailors going out drinking with their pals before they, too, called it a night.

Slowly, everything grew silent, the entire world sleeping peacefully. Except for one country, that is.

The sound of drums echoed through the air, graceful dancers moving to the beat, the small bells on their dresses jingling along. Children's laughter, the sweet smell of desserts, the bolts of color that shot into the sky one after another, followed by a loud 'bang!'. The night was alive with festivities.

Women wearing exotic masks and necklaces made of flowers strolled through the streets wielding large trays of alcohol and snacks, passing them out to anyone who asked, while carts with challenging mini games lined the streets, children and couples alike enjoying their difficultness.

Amongst it all was Princess Amirah, who drank in her surroundings greedily- wishing the night would never end.

Tonight was an escape. A way to pretend her reality didn't exist. Amirah was free to say and act as she pleased, unbound by her responsibilities and expectations as a princess, if only for a night.

It was extremely liberating. The last time Sindria had had a festival -then, Mahrajan- Amirah had been too uptight and wary of her surroundings to really enjoy herself.

But now, Amriah was willing to do just about anything. Hence why she actually considered King Sinbad's ridiculous offer; after she'd called him out on being drunk, that is.

"I'm not drunk," Sinbad insisted, his tone low. He'd found her wandering the streets -finally alone for a moment- and had taken her by the hand to behind a tall stone house, away from any prying eyes.

Sinbad leaned in closer to the princess -whose back was now pressed up against the wall-, their faces mere inches apart.

Amirah took a deep breath. It was true; Sinbad didn't smell of alcohol at all. The princess frowned slightly, opening her mouth to speak, but was cut off as Sinbad answered her question:

"I knew you'd never agree if I had drunk even a sip of alcohol."

Amirah hummed, impressed by his efforts. "You're serious then, huh?"

"Deadly."

Amirah pushed any doubts out of her mind as she leaned forward some, her lips just barely brushing against the king's.

Sinbad attempted to deepen the kiss, but was stopped as Amirah raised a hand to his lips. "Not here." Was all she said, her voice a soft whisper. She glanced around for any onlookers, then decided, "I'll go tell the others I'm heading to bed for the night. You go disappear as usual, no one will suspect anything from you if you suddenly vanish."

The king didn't argue. "Alright. Bet you I'll still beat you up stairs," He smirked, challenging her.

Amirah rolled her eyes, "Are you sure you're not a five year old trapped in a thirty year old's body?"

"Hey, I'm only twenty nine!" That confirmed Amirah's suspicions.

She laughed, gently shoving the king away, "Get going already, you doofus."

~

"Ah, Princess Amirah! There you are!" Zaahira scampered over to Amirah excitedly. "Here, you don't have a necklace yet!" She gingerly placed a necklace made of purple and pink flowers over Akido, decorating him nicely.