Chapter forty nine

Chapter forty nine

Sinbad took a shocked step back, letting his djinn equip vanish. He caught Queen Marianna's limp body, lowering her gently to the floor. Alex was beside her in seconds, casting Sinbad a well-deserved death glare the king took as an excuse to go to Amirah's side.

She had tried to stand when Alex had, but the wound in her side inhibited her from doing so. Instead, she remained on the cold marble floor, trying to sort out her emotions and ebb the bleeding in her side as Sinbad approached her. "Sin..."

"Shh, don't move," Sinbad hushed her as he crouched down beside her. Looking her over, his expression grew concerned. "You're bleeding... Come on, King Armakan brought magicians with him, they'll be able to heal you." He took Amirah's hands as he stood, pulling her up with him carefully.

Amirah suppressed a groan, asking, "How did you get here?"

"Zaahira activated one of the magic circle scrolls Yamraiha gave her. We came as soon as we could," Sinbad explained. He helped Amirah walk towards the door, pausing where Alex sat hunched over his mother's body. Amirah looked away.

"Prince Alex, stand up. We're going to the courtyard, where everyone else has gathered," Sinbad ordered with a flat tone.

Alex raised his head slowly, "Of course...I'll follow behind you two." He stood, pushing off his knees with excess effort. It felt like his limbs were filled with lead. It was hard to speak. "Unless...you don't know where you're going...do you?"

Sinbad shook his head.

"...I'll lead, then."

~

The moment the trio entered the courtyard, Alex was seized by Heliohaptian magicians, while Zaahira and even more magicians rushed over to Amirah and Sinbad.

"Princess!!" Zaahira was first to Amirah's side, Sinbad reluctantly passing the princess over to her and the mages to be healed. "Gosh...what happened?! You're bleeding really bad..."

Sinbad stepped in front of the group to explain. The Askalian royalties: Leonidas, Alex, and Annalena were all sitting on the ground, bound at their wrists and ankles, while the twins Eva and Aura stood terrified behind King Alexandros, who was lost in deep, dark, thought. Ja'far, Sharrkan, and Yamraiha, were keeping a close eye on the royalties, while Armakan and Narmes Titi stood nearby.

"Queen Marianna is dead," Sinbad announced to everyone.

King Alexandros looked up, torn from his thoughts. The generals had explained the situation to him while they had been waiting for Sinbad and Amirah, but he still couldn't believe it. His wife, the love of his life, had done all that? Betrayed their country, and everything they had stood for for generations? And his children had been dragged into it as well? And now... Now, the king of a foreign country was announcing her death, and the princess he'd planned on marrying to his dear youngest son was badly wounded. Alexandros shook his head, eyes closed. Then he stepped forward:

"King Sinbad, King Armakan. There are no words to portray how devastated I am at hearing the events that occurred within my country these past months. My wife... She kept all of this from me, forced my children to play along... She couldn't have been in her right mind...-"

"She wasn't," Sinbad confirmed solemnly. "With her last words she...thanked me."

Relief relaxed Alexandros' features, though his children were far from calm. "I'm glad...but even so, that doesn't excuse what happened. I'm willing to accept any punishment you see fit. Though...I'd ask you to spare the future generations of Askal, if you would..."

Sinbad opened his mouth, forgotten anger resurfacing as he glanced at Leonidas, but was beat by Armakan, who spoke first, "I believe that is up to Amirah to decide. She is the victim in all this, after all."

Frowning, Sinbad pushed aside his anger once again to say, "I agree..."

All eyes turned to Amirah, who had been mostly healed and bandaged in places that couldn't be healed completely. She walked with a slight limp to stand before the Askalian royalties, looking all of them over. Leonidas spoke before she could utter a word, his tone frantic:

"L-Look, Princess, Anna and Alex never wanted to be a part of this. It was all me. If you're going to punish anyone for what happened to you, do it to me. I'm the one who hurt you. I'm Leonidas."

Amirah furrowed her brows, tilting her head, "Wha-" She cut off as finally the spell broke for her, her eyes widening. "You..."

Just looking Leonidas in the eye brought back a tsunami of memories. Overwhelmed, Amirah took several steps away from Leonidas, shaking. Both Sinbad and Zaahira moved to comfort her, yet paused as Armakan raised a hand to them. She can do this.

Taking a deep breath, Amirah let whatever emotions she felt flow past her. All her fear and hatred, her sadness and suffering. After a few moments, the only emotion left was anger. Balling her hands into fists, Amirah opened her eyes, glare landing on Leonidas.

He accepted the look, hanging his head. Quietly, he spoke, "I know it doesn't matter what I say, but I am so sorry, Princess Amirah. Please don't take this out on Alex or Anna... Just me."

Hearing his words brought tears to Amirah's eyes, though she held them back. The fate of Askal was practically laid in her hands. She could choose whatever punishment to be placed on the family before her. Anything. Any sort of revenge she could ever want. And yet...

"Amirah, have you decided?" Armakan asked, breaking the silence that had fallen upon the courtyard. It wasn't really a question- he already knew the answer. He knew exactly how Amirah would react, what she would choose. She was his dear sister, after all.

"I...have." Amirah swallowed the ball in her throat, closing her eyes as she spoke: "I'm never going to forgive any of you for what happened. At least...not yet. As for your reparations..." She paused, opening her eyes to look at King Alexandros. "The arranged marriage is off. And though it isn't quite my place, I'd also deny Askal any entry into the Seven Seas Alliance." Amirah looked over her shoulder at Sinbad for permission of her request.

"Done," Sinbad agreed easily. He crossed his arms, a small, proud, smile on his lips.

King Alexandros looked from Amirah to Sinbad, to Armakan, then back to Amirah, growing more and more confused. "Princess Amirah...is that really all? After everything...?"

Leonidas added with just as much bafflement, "Don't you want revenge?"

Amirah managed to smile lightly, "Revenge is pointless. Hate just breeds more hate. Besides, your family needs you, Leonidas." She paused again, almost laughing at herself. Just saying his true name hurts. "Your country needs you, too. All of you."

"You're far too kind, Princess Amirah..." Alexandros let out a breathy laugh, struggling to keep his composure in front of so many important people. "Thank you, truely..."

Already, Ja'far and Yamraiha had begun removing the magic and wires that bound the Askalian siblings. Sharrkan returned Leonidas' metal vessels to him, making sure the prince understood what he would do to him if he ever harmed Amirah again. Leonidas readily agreed, looking like he was already on the verge of tears before Sharrkan's words, which only fueled the general's ego more. It didn't matter, though. Leonidas knew he deserved it.

~

Author's Note-

the ending's slightly abrupt but eh it's k. I didn't know where else to end it lmao