Chapter forty eight

Chapter forty eight

Marianna was pacing the hallway outside of Alex's bedroom door nervously. King Alexandros and Annalena were inside, two Al-Thamen members -which Marianna learned they were called- with them. The other two masked magicians were with Marianna herself, simply watching her in silence as she drove herself insane.

Leonidas and Judar had been gone for almost two weeks now, Alex's condition only worsening in that time.

Marianna stopped pacing suddenly, quite literally putting her foot down as she stomped her feet and threw her hands in the air, "I can't take this anymore! He's not going to survive much longer, you need to heal him! Now!"

"Our Magi has not returned. We cannot act until he and Prince Leonidas are here."

"Please," Marianna begged, clasping her hands together as she turned to the Al-Thamen members. "I'll do anything. Anything! I'll even join your organization if you want, you can do anything with me just- help him."

The Al-Thamen members remained silent, their expressions unreadable behind their masks. After several moments one replied, "Very well, we will heal your son. Our leader will contact you and tell you what you are do to."

Marianna let out a sigh of relief, laughing breathily and thanking them. What was with these people? They always seemed to agree to the weirdest things. Where was the harm in letting Leonidas capture a dungeon with Judar, a great magi? Where was the harm in joining their organization? They didn't seem like completely bad people, although they wore dark clothing and were always eerily silent, and while their magi was extremely rude it just seemed to be his character- nothing more. They had to be good people. This is what Marianna tried to assure herself of.

It wasn't long before Alex was fully healed and resting. It was as simple as that. Marianna couldn't believe it. Just days later, the country seemed to be crawling with Al-Thamen members, which were there to greet Leonidas and Judar when they returned from their dungeon together.

Marianna wasn't the only one unable to believe Alex's fast recovery. King Alexandros had many questions, all of which were brushed aside by his dear wife, who -by order of the Al-Thamen members,- insisted Askal's magicians had healed him, and that the Al-Thamen members weren't needed and would leave immediately.

Although still skeptical, Alexandros decided to let it slide. After all, his son was healthy again! He'd be able to live a full, happy, life now, together with his siblings. He felt like he had all he ever wanted, and that they could move on together now, as a family.

If only life were that easy.

On the day Judar and Leonidas returned from their dungeon, Vual, a high-ranking member of Al-Thamen appeared with them. He had muddy yellow hair and purple eyes almost hidden behind the mask he wore, and claimed to be a representative of Al-Thamen's leader.

"There's no way I could do that," Marianna shook her head in response to the Al-Thamen member's proposal for her. They were in a spare office of the palace, the Al-Thamen member, Ithnan, standing across the dark wood desk from Marianna. Leonidas and Judar were by the door, the latter picking at his nails in boredom already.

Marianna continued, "Askal is a kingdom of peace, those suggestions are awful and inhumane. Alexandros would never agree to this."

"These are our conditions," Ithnan repeated himself in an even tone, slowly growing annoyed at the queen's reluctance. He opened his mouth to say more, when Leonidas stepped forward:

"Let me get this straight. You want us to spy on other countries using any methods necessary -even if it means killing or torturing people,- just to get information on this 'King Sinbad'?" He scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Why's he so important anyway? We're not doing this."