Chapter thirty one

Chapter thirty one

Ja'far knocked on Sinbad's office door briefly before entering, closing the door gently behind him. Sinbad sat hunched over at his desk, pretending to work diligently though he was clearly upset. The past four days had crawled by, word of Amirah's arranged marriage spreading across the country like wildfire.

Sinbad and Zaahira had given up trying to convince Amirah to stay, the former ignoring her completely, which only made Amirah feel worse.

"Aren't you going to meet the prince at the docks with us?" Ja'far asked carefully.

"I didn't plan on it."

"You have to. You're the king."

Sinbad sighed dramatically, pushing his work aside and standing. Annoyed, he asked, "What's the prince's name again?"

"Prince Alexandros Apostolos Jr." Ja'far spoke.

"What a stupid name," Sinbad huffed in amusement. "That king's so full of himself he had to give his excessively flashy name to his son as well?"

Ja'far cracked a small smile, turning towards the door, "Come on, let's just get this over with. Make sure you're polite, Sin."

"I know, I know," Sinbad said, reluctantly following him.

~

Amirah stood at the docks with Zaahira and the generals, oddly calm despite the circumstances. Zaahira, on the other hand, was visibly shaking. Amirah reached over and took one of Zaahira's hands, squeezing it tightly.

The blonde looked over at her in surprise, giving the princess a reassuring smile. She wasn't angry with Amirah anymore; it was Amirah's choice and although she disagreed, she had sworn to stay by Amirah's side through thick and thin.

Everyone seemed to hold their breath as the ship neared the docks. As the crew lowered the anchor and ramp, King Sinbad finally arrived, taking his place nearby Amirah.

Once everything was set up, a line of guards stepped off the ship, forming a sort of pathway along the docks for the prince. They all crouched down on one knee, their heads lowering as a slightly-shorter-than-average man with blond hair and deep green eyes walked off the ship.

His attire matched his country's colors: white and blue. Blue-ish trousers with white knee-high boots, a crisp white and grey vest over a long-sleeved blue shirt with dark blue cuffs. The vest had a collar, a dark blue cravat tie held in place with a light blue gem in the middle.

The prince's outfit was strange- to say the least. No one had ever seen clothing that wasn't based on robes and cotton cloth. Amirah noticed the soldiers were dressed similarly; it made them all very intimidating.

Ignoring their strange looks, the prince stepped forward, directing his attention to Amirah. "You must be Princess Amirah Amun-Ra, correct?" His tone was even and formal, his hands folded neatly behind his back before he bowed down to the princess on one knee, his right arm over his chest. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Amirah straightened her posture, replying with the same formality, "All the same to you, Prince Alexandros Apostolos."

The prince rose, offering her a small smile, "Just 'Alex' is fine with me." He then turned to Sinbad, offering him his hand to shake, "You're King Sinbad, yes? I've heard much about you." Alex smiled brightly, Sinbad reluctantly shaking his hand and smiling back. "Thank you for allowing me into your country on such short notice."

"No problem," Sinbad kept his facade up, possibly squeezing the prince's hand a little too tightly. Amirah noticed and stepped on the king's foot, making him jump. He released the prince's hand, giving Amirah a quick look.