Chapter nineteen

Chapter nineteen

Several hours later, neither princess nor former prince made any progress. Alibaba couldn't get his full djinn equip to work yet, while Amirah still couldn't activate her djinn at all. She was actually extremely bummed about it, and purposely didn't stay long after the training session was over. Although she also had other reasons for leaving abruptly, the main one being memories of the night before with Sinbad.

Sinbad acted rather normal and professional besides only using her first name when addressing her. Amirah didn't mind much, but it made her feel strange. The only other people that called her just by her name were Armakan and Sharrkan- no one else. Not even Zaahira or any of the generals.

Amirah pushed her thoughts of the king aside, realizing she wasn't quite sure where she was. She was on the island's shore, walking along the beach, but getting back wasn't something she knew how to do. Accepting her fate of being on the shore for a while, she looked out at the sea.

It was just as vast and beautiful as every other time she looked at it, but now it carried a sense of fear with it. The waves lightly splashing her feet reminded her of her captors; the mystery of what lies beneath the waves causing her to wonder where they'd taken her. She didn't want to hate the ocean, but until the mystery was solved she wasn't sure she could trust it for anything.

Amirah sighed and sat in the dry beach sand, pulling out her fan. She frowned at it, looking it over, "Why won't you work with me, Antheia? Did you change your mind? I'm not suited to be a king's candidate, is that it?" She hoped for a reply. Nothing. Annoyed, she tossed the fan into the sand beside her.

She raised her head, looking up at the sky where the sun was almost completely set, the stars beginning to shine. She took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. Continuing to watch the sky change, she began to sing- something she hadn't done since she first arrived in Sindria.

"Doushite sora wa konna ni aokute,

nani mo kanashimi wo shiranu you ni

Itsumo tamerawazu ashita e to kuzureochiru..."

Amirah trailed off, her eyes drifting to her metal vessel beside her. The eight-pointed star on the handle was glowing brightly. Picking it up in confusion, Amirah tried singing again, wondering if that was the cause.

"Inochi wa tarinai mama umarete kuru no ne

Itami ga mitasu mono mo aru no ne

Kakeochita kokoro ni anata ga furete..."

Sure enough, the fan shined brighter. As Amirah marveled at the fan, the light slowly faded. Why is she reacting to my singing...? Shaking her head, Amriah decided to continue:

"Sora wa takaku kaze wa utau

Yume wo miteta

Yorokobi e to

Hito wa itsuka tadoritsukeru

Kodomo no hitomi de anata wa shinjita

Soba ni iru yo

Kooritsuita mori no nukete

Sono hitomi ga sekai no nageki ni,

mayowanu you ni..."

Amirah stumbled to her feet, her fan glowing white and beginning to change shape. Before she had time to process the information, her fan extended into a long, silver, staff. The ends were lined with gold, and an intricate pattern of leaves and flowers trailed its way around the staff, carved into it. The princess was at a loss for words, gawking at the weapon in her hands.