Chapter twenty three

"Hey, Ja'far, can I leave today's work with you?" Sinbad asked the general as the white haired man entered his office.

Ja'far sighed, "You're going out to drink, aren't you? It's not even noon; it's early even for you, Sin."

Sinbad shook his head, "No, no, it's not like that. I have plans today."

"Plans, hm?" Ja'far walked over to the desk, several scrolls in-hand. "What kind of plans?"

Sinbad stood, adjusting his robes as he spoke, "I'm going to take Amriah shopping for a bit, then out to dinner."

Ja'far raised his head, smiling slightly, "A date, then?"

Sinbad paused, eyes widening, "What? No! It's not a date."

"Are you sure, Sin?" Ja'far raised an eyebrow.

"Positive." The king assured, walking towards the door. Ja'far chuckled lightly as he left.

~

Zaahira squealed, ushering Amirah from her bedroom and towards the main entrance of the palace, "Go, go, you're going to be late~!"

"I'm going, I'm going," Amirah laughed, trying to stop the blonde from pushing her. Turning around she said, "Zaahira, it's really not a big deal."

"Sure it is!" Zaahira chirped. "Who else can say they've gone out on a da-hey look there he is!" Before Amirah could question her, Zaahira spun the princess around so she was facing towards Sinbad, who stood a few yards away. Giving her a small shove towards him, Zaahira snuck away.

She ran to a hiding spot near the palace doors. In the same spot she saw Ja'far, who was spying on the pair himself. "Hey, Ja'far!" Zaahira whispered excitedly.

Ja'far looked to the blonde and smiled, "Hello, Zaahira."

"Are you here to stalk their date as well?" The blonde asked.

"Not for long. I'm just worried Sin will do something stupid."

Zaahira chuckled, "If he does, I'm sure Princess Amirah will slap him for it."

"There's no doubt about that," Ja'far agreed. "But I don't want her siblings getting angry if he upsets her in any way. King Armakan is already displeased with how Princess Amirah disappeared for so long."

"I'm sure they'll be fine," Zaahira spoke. Placing her hands on the general's shoulders she said, "You've got like double the work now, right? Let's go do that, then check on them again later."

Ja'far contemplated her offer as he watched Sinbad and Amirah walk out of their sight. With a sigh, he complied, "Alright."

~

Embarrassment. It covered every inch of Amirah's skin, and sent blood rushing to her cheeks. It took several hours to fade, but the whispers and wide-eyed stares were too prominent to ignore completely.

It made sense. It wasn't every day you saw the king of your country strolling around town with a princess at his side. Who wouldn't stop to marvel at the pair?

Another amazement was how easily the king threw around his money. Both Amirah and the shopkeepers they passed questioned his priorities as he bought things left and right. He insisted it was a smart use of his money- for he was buying things specifically for the princess and she deserved it.

Amirah could easily see Ja'far fainting on the spot when he received the bill for all their charges throughout the night.

Eventually the princess had to tell Sinbad to stop, dragging him away from the shops, which were now beginning to close for the night. The cheeky king let her scold him and lead him away, all the while smiling at her.