Chapter thirty eight

"Are you ignoring me?"

"Am I?"

Sinbad shuffled a bit, standing cross-armed at the end of Zaahira's bed. "I'd say so, yes." Amirah didn't reply. "What did I do wrong?"

"What did Alex do wrong?"

Sinbad sighed, "Is that all this is about? Okay, I realize I was a bit rude to him just now but-"

"You scared him out of the room," Amirah's tone carried a hint of amusement, betraying the anger she was trying to portray.

"I didn't mean to."

Amirah laughed dryly, "Yeah, right. You were clearly trying to get him out of the room with such a scary look."

"I wanted to talk to you. Alone," Sinbad admitted.

Amirah finally shifted her gaze from Zaahira to the king, replying with, "I don't want to argue with you about that right now, I'm more concerned with Zaahira's wellbeing."

"You started it," Sinbad pouted slightly.

This prompted an eyeroll from Amirah, who sat up fully and turned to swing her legs off the edge of the bed, "You're such a child, Sinbad. I need to go see Yamraiha to make sure I'm alright," She moved to stand, but the second she placed her weight on her feet her knees gave out, causing her to stumble forward.

Amirah was fully expecting to fall face-first to the stone floor, Sinbad laughing at her in the background before finally coming over to help her up, while her face became dark red with embarrassment and irritation from falling directly onto it. Instead, her face met cotton robes and a warm chest, Sinbad's arms wrapping around her and lifting her up before she could meet her humiliating fate.

She raised her head and looked up, her sore, pale gold eyes meeting Sinbad's warm, darker gold ones. There was a spark, just like every other time she made physical contact with the king, one that filled her heart with warmth and her stomach with butterflies. Yet dread also shot through her, making Amirah want to pull away although she knew the second she did she'd lose her footing once again.

Sinbad smirked at her, ready to tease her with some "witty" one-liner he'd thought up. Amirah placed a finger over his lips as the king opened his mouth to speak, shaking her head and saying, "Don't. Just take me to Yamraiha please."

More pouting. "I wasn't going to say anyth-"

"Shhh," Amirah scolded, Sinbad sighing and picking her up bridal-style. As he walked to the door, Amirah stopped him, "Wait. Should we wake up Sharrkan just in case anything happens to Zaahira?"

"Sure," Sinbad carried Amirah over to Sharrkan, the princess poking the white haired general on the shoulder.

"Sharrkan~" Amirah cooed. The general groaned. "I already know you're awake, Sharrkan. You're bad at acting."

The general frowned, opening one eye, "How'd you know?"

"Because I know you," Amirah replied, noting how Sinbad seemed to tense slightly at the news he had been spied on. "Can you watch Zaahira for a bit? Just in case anything happens."

Sharrkan stood groggily, stretching while saying, "Yeah, sure." Then he added with a wink, "Don't get sidetracked on the way though, alright?"

~

Yamraiha frowned in thought, lifting Amirah's chin with one hand while she craned her head around to check for any sort of ailments. She lowered her hand, moving on to check Amirah's arms and legs, slightly raising the dress of the generic white robes the princess wore. Finding nothing, not even anything different about the princess' rukh, Yamraiha took a step back and grabbed her wand.