Chapter 3

“You have to choose! Me or Him!” Shouted Joe. I look at his face filled with anger and fear. I look over to a boy with short hair that went up to a point, kinda like Joe’s, but his hair is a coffee brown color. I don’t know this boy, but strangely I did know him. He had a black eye and was breathing hard. Something fluttered up inside me as he stared at me sadly, waiting for an answer. A group of people crowded around us during the commotion.

“Well?!” demanded Joe. I did the only think I could think of.

I ran.

I wake up early in the morning breathing and sweating as if I did a 5K. I couldn’t remember what I was dreaming about, other than it was scary realistic, and a boy with chocolate hair. I shook my head and swung my legs over to the side and got out. I check the time and see that it was 6:30, and school doesn’t start till 8.

The weekend flew by so quickly that I didn’t notice. All of Saturday, I spent decorating my room and helping my mother and Maddie unpack and decorate. 

Sunday, Dallas came over for a quick visit and she and I went to Alex’s grave. I haven’t visited for a while and I thought it would have been a good idea just to go for a bit. On the way, we stopped to buy a rose, while Dallas got daisies. It was worth the while. I knelt down in front of the marble headstone with wilted flowers in a vase that was in the ground. I took out the bad flowers and replaced them with mine and Dallas’s flowers. I arranged then so my roses would stand out in between the yellow daises. 

“A whole year gone, and we still miss you like hell.” I whispered. A tear slipped out as I stood up. Dallas rubbed my back in comfort and we walked back to the parking lot.

I tried not to cry as I went to the bathroom across my sister’s room to take a shower. I let the water calm me down as I did my daily routine. I shut off the water and step out of the bathroom with just a towel. No one was awake yet so I scurried to my room and shut the door quickly. As a precaution I shut my curtains to the glass doors as well. I get dressed, put on makeup, stuffed some notebooks and my transcripts into my book bag, then check the time and saw that it was only 7. I sighed and took my stuff downstairs. My mom was in her PJ’s yawning, pouring herself a cup of coffee.

“Good morning sweetheart. Ready for your big day?” she asked with a tired happiness.

“Mom, it’s just the first day of school, it’s no biggie.” I said with a smile. She smiled wryly at me before taking a sip. My sister walks down the stairs groggily in her pink PJ’s.

“Hey Maddie.” I said ruffling up her hair. A knock at the door make me turn me head quickly.

“Were you expecting company?” I asked my mom. She shook her head and I get up and walk to the door. I open and see that Joe was standing there, his hands in his pocket.

“Hey Demi.” He said with a half-smile.

“Oh, hi Joe.” I said surprised.

“You want to walk to school? Me and my brother are headed up there right now.” He said. 

“Uh, sure, let me get my stuff.” I smiled shyly. He nods and I close the door and run over to grab my book bag.

“I’ll be walking to school with a friend mom.” I said. She looks at me oddly as I go and grab an apple.

“How do you have friends from school, you haven’t even started yet.”

“She meet this boy at the park that goes to the same school.” Said Maddie, eating her cereal. I shot her a look as she giggles.

“Well alright, just be careful, call me for anything alright?” I nod and my mom walks up, kissing my forehead.

“I love you.” I said as I walked out. Joe was leaning on my mom’s car, waiting for me. There stood a boy with chocolate brown hair with him, his back towards me. Joe looks over to me and smiles as I walk down to him. The boy turns around and I freeze for a second.