Chapter 20

We walked past my house and went straight to the park. I haven't been there for a while, since the first day I got here, and that was in September and its January now. I pulled on my coat as the first signs of snow fell down from the grey sky.

"Do you think it's going to snow enough to get days off of school?" Yelled Michelle from the swing set. I was on top of the jungle gym's highest point where I could see the entire park.

"I don't know! Looks beautiful though!" I shouted back. I took a photo of the trees in back of the park, where they were slightly snow covered, but its evergreen needles still was visible.

"This one is defiantly going on Tumblr." I said proudly before putting my phone away. Michelle ran from the swings and to the grass where snow had just begun to cover. She rolled then landed on her back and stayed there on the floor, making a faint snow angle. I walked over there and layer down beside her.

"The floor is wet and freezing my neck! How can you stand this?" I giggled.

"I have a scarf, that's why." She giggled back.

"Would you like to borrow mine?" We both look up and saw Nick standing there, swollen eye and all.

"Nick!" I jumped off from the floor and hugged him.

"So you didn't die?" Asked Michelle, with a chuckle.

"Holy crap, he got you bad, didn't he? Dose it still hurt?" I asked once I pulled back to see his swollen eye.

"Yea, a lot. I'm still trying to figure out a way to explain this to my mom without her killing both Joe and I." He said with a smile.

"You’re still defending that asshole? He. Gave. You. A. Black. Eye." Said Michelle.

"Yea, but he's still my brother." He said a bit defensively.

"She right, though, you can't just let that slide. He's your brother, he's supposed to give your bullies black eyes, not be the bully and give you one." I argued back. He gave me a sad look then sat down on the grass where the snow had melted. I sat down with him while Michelle kept standing.

"I don't know what to do guys. I don't want to get in trouble for this." He sighed.

"Why would you? Joe was the one who did the fighting, all you did was stumble back and do nothing." Said Michelle. I slap her leg to silently tell her she went a bit too far, but she didn't get it as she complained at me.

"What was that for?!"

"My suspension. My mom is going to kill me for it!" He groaned. We were quiet for a long while. The wind blew all around us.

“We better get going.” I mumbled. Michelle nodded but Nick didn’t move an inch.

“You have to face them at some point. Would you rather have them believe Joe’s lies, or have him get in trouble for physically hurting you?” I mumbled to him. He sighed and nodded in response. Michelle helped Nick and me up and we start to walk home. Nick decided to stay with us, instead of going home, because as it turns out, his parents aren't home yet and I'm afraid to leave him alone with Joe.

"Hello girls! And Nick! What happen to your eye?" My mom exclaimed as she ran up to him and fussed over his face.

"Its fine, Mrs. Lovato, it'll heal in a couple of days." Said Nick, gently pushing her back.

"Well I'm not covering for you once your mother sees you, who did this to you?" She asked.

"Mom, I think your chicken is getting a little too hot." I said, pointing over to the stove, which lit on fire. She ran over there and put out the fire quickly. We set down our stuff in the living room and go and help, but my mom stood over the stove, a bit satisfied.

"Well it's well cooked now, isn't? Who wants dinner?" Chuckled my mom.

"Are you sure? It was just on fire seconds ago." I said. Michelle giggled silently behind me.

"Here, just take off the burnt skin, and its well cook under." My mom pulled back the burnt skin and revealed the cooked chicken. Nick heard something that neither my mother, Michelle, nor I heard and ran to the window. He looks outside and sighs.

“I would love to stay Ms. Lovato, but I have to go.” He looks over with a weak smile.

“Alright then, Nick, be careful now.” Called out my mom. Michelle waved and talked to my mom about something while I walked over to him as he grabbed his coat and backpack.

“Are you sure you’re going to be alright?” I asked softly.

“Yea, I’ll be fine.” He answered back as soft as me. I walked him over the door and he was about to leave before he turned around on my porch.

“Um, Demi.” He said weakly.

“Yea?”

“I know you don’t want to answer it, but for my sake, will you tell me who you would choose?” he asked, weakly and as bit scared.

“Look, Nick. Please this isn’t the best time for me.” I said softly.

“I know, the anniversary. But please?” Since the porch is a couple of inches below the landing of inside of the house, he looked up at me with hope written all over his face.

“Goodbye Nick, I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said softly before closing the door on him. I turn to see Michelle and my mother staring at me with worry.

“Just drop it please?” I said with a weak voice.

_____________________________________________

I'M SOOOOOO SOORY FOR THE SHORTISH CHAPTER AND THAT IT'S SOOOOOO LATE BUT MY BRAIN HAS BEEN DISTRACTED ALL DAY AND HOLY CRAP I STILL NEED TO UPDATE 2 MORE BOKS IM SO BEHIND WINTER BREAK FUDGED ME OVERRR.

IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD WAITING FOR SUPERMAN BY DAUGHTRY YOU MUST GO HEAR IT OMG I'M CRYING SO MUCH, I HAVEN'T CRIED THIS MUCH SINCE I WATCHED MOULIN ROUGE.

DON'T MIND THAT I'M WRITING IN ALL CAPS TODAY.

COMMENT AND VOTE LOVELIES

~JEN /.\