Chapter 5

“I’m home!” I called out in the empty house. No one responded, which was typical. My mom and Maddie probably went out and my dad was still working. After Math, everything was mellow. During break and lunch, Michelle got me to sit with her and her preppy friend. It took them a while to warm up to me, since my style choice is more along the lines of ‘hipster’ than ‘preppy’. But soon enough, they warmed up to me, with the help of Michelle, and we went along fine as far as I know.

Nick and Joe, although, weren’t there. I looked all around the cafeteria and couldn’t find either of them. it kinda sucked, because I’m going to a party with them tonight, trusting that they can bring me home safe, and I barely knew anything about either of them. It’s a real stupid idea, now that I think about it. They’re just a step up from strangers.

I went upstairs and got started on my homework.

“Hi sweetie.” My mom popped her head inside the room.

“Hi mom, how was your day?” I asked.

“Good. How was school? Did you make new friends?” she asked.

“More or less.” I answered.

“Good! Well dinner will be ready in an hour, alright?” she said with a smile. I smile and nod as her head disappeared once more. I finished what I needed and took a long, relaxing shower. I stepped out, wrapping a blue fluffy towel around me, the steam of the hot water fogging the mirror. I drew a happy face and smiled sadly. I walk out and dressed in PJ’s, and picked out my outfit for the party to night. Something in the pit of my stomach told me not to go, but I shoved it down in the deepest corner inside me.

~*~

I laying on my bed, looking up at the ceiling fan, tossing a ball up and catching it repeatedly. I’ve been ready for hours now, waiting for Nick’s signal. The house is completely silent. It was almost midnight and I was growing impatient.

“Kaw! Kaw!” someone gruffed from outside. I rush over to the balcony and see Nick waiting for me, in a black leather and jeans. Joe, wearing a red flannel and black jeans as well, waved at me from behind Nick. I made a small wave back and motioned for them to walk over to where the gate thingy that held flower vines right under the balcony.

I knew it was secure because my dad bolted the thing into the wall so securely, not even a 500 pound hippo can bring it down. This is because I was playing with Dallas and Maddie in the back yard, and the old thing fell over, just inches away from us. If it was plywood, it wouldn’t matter, but this thing is made out of thick wood strips, which clearly could have crushed us.

“You alright Dem?” whispered Joe. I got to the bottom and made a small leap to reach the ground.

“Yup, now let’s go, before someone sees us!” I whispered as I pushed the two boys out the back gate. We walked down the streets, passing a lot of houses before reaching a black sports car.

“Who’s car is it?” I asked.

“Mine.” Grinned Joe. I gave a shy smile back to him as I allowed Nick hop in the back before I sat in the passenger seat.

“So where’s this party?” I asked excitedly.

“Not that far, it’s going to be sick!” cheered Joe as he high fives his brother. I laugh and roll my eyes. It took about 5 minutes to get there by car. We went up to this huge home that multi colored strobe lights flashing from the windows, the front door wide open. People hung outside as the inside seemed to grow ever more crowded. Joe parked and we all got out. After a few beeps, showing the car locked, we headed inside. Like I predicted, the house was packed full of sweaty, drunk, dancing teens. I turn around and see that Joe went one way while Nick went another. I walked around the house trying to see if I can find an empty spot to avoid the crowd, but the first floor was packed.