Chapter 27

*Demi’s POV*

I screamed when the big guy begun to beat Nick’s face in. I ran over to pull the giant off him, but with one heavy swing of his arm, I dropped to the ground. Janice, who also tried to get him off Nick, pulled at his arms, but he kept punching at Nick’s lifeless body. What seems like seconds later, the two of the school security guards was on him, pulling him back with great difficulty. I clutched onto my stomach where the guy had hit me the hardest.

“Sweetheart, are you ok?” I look up to see a teacher over above me. Her voice was soft and faint. I nodded as I stood, a little dizzy. A group of people crowded around me, making me feel anxious from all the attention. The closed space made it hard to breath.

“Where’s Nick?” I asked. The teacher looked at me confused. The room felt like it was spinning in slow motion. She shook her head and I softly heard her ask ‘who’? The small crowd stood back as I took a step. I felt someone hold onto me to help me keep balance, but their weight just added to mine as I dropped again to the floor. My head, being the heaviest of all, begun to fall, still in slow motion. I felt the pain of my head hitting the floor, then there was darkness.

I woke up in the nurse’s office on a bed with a thin paper cover over the green plastic mattress. I had a cheap emergency blanket over me, keeping me warm in the freezing room. The room still spun, but not as badly as it was when I was in the hall way. I saw that they took off my jacket and put it aside. I try to sit up, but my stomach was in pain the moment I moved my legs to sit myself down. I lift my shirt to see a disgustingly red and blue bruise forming across my stomach. There were screens separating each bed, which were four or five in this small room.

The faint shadow of someone sleeping over next to me was visible through the screen. I get on my feet to go see who it was when the Irish nurse walked in quickly, a brown bottle, a lot of cotton, band aids, and an icepack. I sat back down quickly as she looked over and smiled when she notices me.

“Well, how ar’ ye dear?” she asked.

“Uh, bruised.” I said softly. She chuckles and walks over to me, placing the icepack over my head. I wince back in pain, my head now throbbing on the side of it.

“Ye gave yourself a nasty hit back there when you fainted. Although I still don’t know why yer fainted in the first place.” She walks over to behind the screen as I hear the clatter of the bottle on a table.

“How long have I been here?” I asked.

“I should say about 15 minutes, maybe more. Ye know, we tried getting in contact with your family, but no one answers.” Holding onto the icepack on the side of my head, I cautiously get up and walk over. I see Nick, lying on the bed, bruises all over his face and slightly bleeding by his lip and eyebrow.

“Nonono love, you mustn’t be walking.” Said the nurse, holding the cotton with the bottle in her hands. I cover my mouth with my free hand.

My poor Nick…

The nurse pulls a chair and I sink slowly into it.

“Didn’t the school call the paramedics?” I asked, looking at Nick’s chest rising and falling slowly and rhythmically.

“Bah! I’ve been trained and serving in the Royal Army as a lass, just as soon as I graduated in ’72! There’s nothing those flimsy excuse of ‘emergency personnel’ could do any better than I can here in me little office.”

“What if he has a concussion? He need help!”

“Relax, dear. The best cure to one, is rest.” she got back to cleaning up some of the wounds, but I was still anxious. She looks up to see me. She sighed heavily and smiled.

“Listen, love, if in another, oh, 10 minutes he hasn’t woken, then go to the office to have them call them.” I smile lightly at her, then look back down at Nick.

“Ok. Thank you.” I said softly. She finished cleaning up nick, leaving him with small band aids and the dark blue and green bruises around this face. She gives a small nod of approval to herself and then walks back to her office. I move my chair beside the bed and held onto his hand. I placed the ice pack on the table and stroke the back of his hand. I gave it a small kiss and sighed. I stood up, loosening the grip on my hand, but Nick’s hadn’t.

“I’d rather have you kiss my bruised than my hand.” I turn quickly to see him with one eye half open due to exhaustion, the other is swollen shut.

“Oh, Nick.” I said softly as I quickly sat back down.

“Hi.” He whispered softly.

“Hey, hi. Oh my god.” I said softly.

“You waited for me.” He said softly.

“Actually, I fainted.” I said with a giggle. But it got caught in my throat, leaving a lump.

“Oh, no, Dem, what happen? Did they crowd you? I’m so sorry. I didn’t want attention on you, I swear I tried.”

“Nick it’s not your fault.” I cut him off from apologizing any more. “You don’t have to apologize.”

“Ok.” He sighed. He closed his eyes and laid back. “I need to stop getting beat up.” He groaned softly.

“Yea, you do.” I said softly. I noticed that the entire time, he didn’t let go of my hand. We were quiet for a bit, the wall clock ticking loudly.

“Oh, look, you’re awake. See dearie, I told ye all he need was wee bit of a rest.” The nurse walks over, and that is when we finally let go of each other’s hands.

“Ms. Triscot?” a student, probably an underclassman, pokes her head inside the room.

“Yes dear?”

“There is a woman waiting, for Ms. Lovato?” She said. Nick and I look at each other. Hesitantly, I get up and walk outside. My mother speed walks over to me and hugs me tightly.

“Oh, Demi, are you alright? Nothing broken?” she asked, pulling back to fuss over me.

“Just a bruise on my stomach, and a bump on my head.” I gently get her hands and stop her from further messing with my hair.

“Oo, when I get my hands on that boy who did this to you, he better wish he’d never laid a finger on you!” My mom went on talking to the nurse, complaining how the boy should be arrested. I look over and see Nick had moved the screen and was looking at me.

“Come on, let’s go home.” Said my mom. I wave quickly to him as my mom pulled me out the door. I just get a glimpse of the beaten up boy smiling and waving back.

________________________________________________

SO sorry i've been MIA lately, alot has happened in two weeks, you have no idea :\

Three more chapters left!

Comment and Vote Lovelies!

~Jen :3