Chapter 28

Nick missed school for three days, right before the winter break started. The first was to visit the hospital. He of course had a concussion. The second and third day was to reset. I wanted to visit him, truly I did. But the only reason was is because Joe was at the home almost all the time, especially since he opted for online classes over transferring to a new school.

I didn’t trust Joe, at all. After what he had done to Nick as an attempt try to win me over had made me disgusted. I couldn’t even look at him anymore, even though he stares at Michelle, Nick, and I walk to school every morning up till now. But I had to face him. For Nick.

I walked up their driveway, as quietly as possible. Before I could make a second knock on the door, it swung open quickly. Joe stood there with his half smile and scruff that had begun to take over the lower half of his face.

“Hello Demitra.” He said softly.

“Don’t call me that.” I said flatly.

“Demi! It’s nice to see you! Come in, it’s freezing outside.” Joe’s mother called to me from the kitchen. I gave a small smirk to Joe as I pushed him aside and walked inside. Joe’s mother walks towards me, wiping her hands on her jeans and hugs me.

“Hello Mrs. Jonas.”

“Hello dear, Nick is upstairs with Kevin, you remember Kevin right?” she asked.

“Yes, I do.” I said with a smile.

“Great! Joe, show her to his room please?” she asked. Joe lost his half-smile and nodded. He walked up the stairs quickly as I followed a few feet behind him. Once we reached upstairs, their little brother, Frankie, runs up and hugs my waist.

“Hey there Frankie.” I laughed, almost stumbling over. He gives a large smile and runs off back to wherever he appeared from. Joe smiled softly, watching his brother run off, but drops instantly as he looks back at me.

“So, which one is it?” I asked.

“It’s the first one to the left.” He said softly. I started to walk away when he calls back to me.

“Um, Demi, can I tell you something?” I stopped and sighed. I turned around and cross my arms. “What is it?”

“I just wanted to say was that I’m sorry, for everything I put you through. You didn’t deserve it. Especially when I knew what made you tick and I used it against you. I’m sorry.” I relaxed a bit as I saw Joe in this weak state. He opened himself up and formally asked for my forgiveness, not something the Joe I knew would ever do.

“I... I forgive you.” I sighed.

“You do?” he asked excitedly.

“Yes, but we can never be friends again. Just mutual.” I said, stiffening up. He smiles sadly and nods his head.

“Of course.” He turns back to the stairs. I sighed and walked down the hallway, reaching the first room, like how Joe had said. I open the door and I see Nick sprawled on top of his bed while Kevin was writing something in a notebook with a textbook open.

“Oh, hey Kevin. Is Nick awake?” I whispered.

“Uh, no he isn’t.” he whispered.

“Oh, then I’ll come back in a bit.” I whispered, when Nick’s head jolted up quickly.

“Demi! Hey, how’s it going?” he said tiredly.

“Nick, go back to sleep, you need it.” Said Kevin without looking up from his paper.

“Really Nick, it’s ok, I’ll come back later.” I giggled.

“No!” he said a bit loudly. He coughed and cleared his throat as I laughed. I walked in and sat down by his bed. He scoots over to make space for me to sit and gently takes my hand.

“How are you feeling?” I asked.

“Oh, you know, it’s just a concussion, no big deal.” He said. I giggled and stroke his hand, which still held onto mine. He picks it up and gently kisses the back of my hand.

“Oh god, you guys are gross. I’ll come back once you guys are done eye raping each other.” Said Kevin as he closes his textbook and walks out the room. I giggled as Nick sighs loudly.

“He’s here for his winter break. Can’t really do anything about him.” He chuckles.

“It’s ok, I don’t mind. He’s a really good person.” I said softly with a smile.

“You’re a good person.” Nick says with a smile.

“Oh, stop it.” I said with a giggle. We stayed quiet for a while, while Nick stroke the back of my hand with his thumb. I lay back, resting my head on his stomach as he switches from my hand and starts to stroke my hair.

“You have to stop getting in fights with people.” I sighed after a while.

“I know.” He sighed. “It’s just people always want to fight with me, I have nothing to do with it.” His voice vibrated in his chest, against my head. It was soothing in a way.

“Just stop, excuses won’t hid the fact that you’re always getting beat up by someone.” I sighed.

“I don’t get beat up, I’m tough!” He said confidently. I poked his cheek gently, where the bruise had become a greenish purple to prove my point. He takes in a sharp breath as my finger brushes his skin.

“Owie! That hurt.” He whined. I giggle and hold his hand again.

“Not as tough as you say you are.”  

“No one is as tough as they say they are.” He sighs. His chest rose with every breath he takes. I don’t know how long we stayed like that, but as soon as we realized it, his mother was calling them down for dinner.

“Stay for dinner?” he asked softly.

“I can’t. I need to go home.” I sighed.

“Oh…. Kay.” He sighed. I stood up and kissed him gently on the forehead, where it hasn’t bruised.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said softly.

“Ok.” He sighed. He held on to my hand until I walked out of reach. Once I reached the hallway, I laid against the wall and took in a deep breath. I slipped back downstairs and out the front without the family noticing I had left.

_________________________________________________

Hey guys! i know i've been MIA for a while, and it's my fault. I'm not making anymore excuses, iv'e just gotten lazy.

But i'm back with this well deserved chapter! Hope you guys like it!

Two Chapters Left!

Comment and Vote Lovelies!

~Jen :D