Chapter 25

The school was buried under snow for four days. Four long, cold days. On the second day, the day after we had our adventure in the school, the snow was piled so high in our front porch that it blocked most of the doorway. I, being the daring person I am, jumped from the second story window onto the slanted roof, almost getting stuck in the snow once I jumped off from there. Of course I screamed bloody murder all the way down. My dad and Maddie used the small space the snow left us above the door to get out safely.

“You guys are weak.” I laughed.

“Oh, sure, because we SO didn’t hear you screaming for a five foot drop.” Giggled Maddie.

“When did you get so sassy little girl.” I dumped an armful of snow on her head, causing her to scream, and throwing small packs of snow at me.

I didn’t see Nick the four days we were out of school. We live next to each other for crying out loud, he could have made an effort to see me at least once.

The snow stopped and the city was able to plow it down and put salt on the streets so we can go back to school. Thing was it was already Thursday and none of us was in the mood to be back in school. Michelle had caught a cold and left me all alone. It wasn’t new to me for me to be all alone, but it still felt strange not having my friend by my side. I had completely ignored Nick the entire day, and I don’t plan to see him. It would be too awkward, after having the moment we had, then completely ignoring each other after.

At first break, I opened Michelle’s locker and took one of her collection of books she had in there, aside from her text books. Since she took off the plastic covers, the book I choose was random. The book I had chosen turned out to be The Fault in Our Stars. Michelle wanted me to read this book for a while now, but I haven’t bothered until now. By the end of the break, I couldn’t take my eyes off the literary masterpiece I had in my hands.

The book is about a girl with cancer, who meets a boy who used to have cancer. It’s a typical boy-meets-girl love story, but the story is written so amazingly that it makes it extraordinary.

By lunch I was half way through the book (And yes I’m a really fast reader). The two characters were on a plane and he had confessed his love for her, but she still wants to deny it. I was in the garden I used to hide in, tears going down my face. I felt bad for the boy, he just wants to be with her, but she continues to push her away.

“Hey there.” I turn around and see Nick, standing behind me, his hands in his pockets.

“Oh, uh, hi.” I wiped my mascara stained tears off and sighed. He sat next to me and I sat up uncomfortably.

“Whatcha reading?” he asked.

“Just some book I took from Michelle.” I sighed.

“What’s it about?” he asked. He was too casual. This is getting awkward for me.

“Um, a girl and guy with cancer.”

“Oh cool, very vague description, but still cool.” I couldn’t help but giggle.

“Yea, sorry, then book is great though, really, despite my poor summary of it.” I said.

“What’s its name?” he asked.

The Fault in Our Stars.

“I’ve heard of it! I heard it was really good.” Said Nick excitedly. I smiled shyly and opened it back to where I’ve marked it.

“Read me a line, I wanna know what’s so amazing about it.” He asked.

“Oh, uh, ok then.” I went back to the top of the page of where I was.

“I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

“Whoa, that’s heavy.” He said softly. His face twisted in full concentration, trying to fully understand what I had just read to him. Of course I had read it to him on purpose. We stayed quiet for a minute or two, the awkwardness becoming thicker each passing second. The lunch bell then rung and I stood up.

“Well, I’ll see you later.” I said softly. Whatever I said snapped him out of a state of strong concentration and he looked up.

“Oh, ok then.” He gave a small wave and a smile. I quickly waved back and rushed back in to the school.

____________________________________________

I know it's super short today but Spring break didn't allow me to have time to do anything really and it was mostly work, not fun.

WHO IS GOING TO WATCH THE FAULT IN OUR STARS OMG I'M GOING TO CRY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE THEATER TT-TT.

Vote and Comment Lovelies!

~Jen