Chapter 23

“Are you sure you all going to be alright?” Asked Alex’s mom the next morning as we were about to head out the door. May hung on to my hip as I swung my bag over my shoulder.

“We’ll be fine Maggie. The storm will pass quickly by the time we get to the airport.” Said my mother with a smile. Water poured down, the sky heavy and dark. May continued to hold onto my waist as she buried her face into my side.

“Demi, please don’t go.” She said a bit muffled. I went down to her height and smiled.

“I’ll visit more often during the summer ok? Or would you like to come to New Jersey with me?” Her eyes widen with excitement.

“But isn’t that far?” she asked.

“Of course. But you should see it over there. It’s so beautiful. I think you would like it.” I said sweetly. She smiled and hugged me tightly before I stood back up.

“I’m going to miss you, ankle-bitter.” Chuckled Michelle as she hugged the little girl tightly.

“You too, Michelle.”

“You girls ready to go?” asked my mother, waiting by the with Alex’s dad. I nodded and picked up my bag once again.

“I hope to see you soon Demi! It’s almost normal with you here.” Said Alex’s mom, waving to us as I step under a huge umbrella Michelle held on to.

“Of course! Bye!” I waved back as she watched us enter the car and we drive off. My phone lightly chimed and I look down. Nick’s message was still on the screen from yesterday, I haven’t bothered to open my messages.

“You know, he probably thinks you’re dead, right?” chuckled Michelle. I attempted a smile, but it drops an instant after. Michelle’s light smile drops with mine.

“Ignoring him won’t help.” she said a bit softer. My mother and Alex’s dad talked gleefully while we went down the high way in pouring rain.

“I don’t want to make a choice.” I sighed.

“Why don’t you choose neither? It’s easy and no one gets seriously hurt.” I turn to Michelle and she smiles a bit.

“Maybe.” I sighed.

“Whoa, whoa, wait. Don’t tell me you’re considering choosing.” She asked.

“Yea, I am. It’s weird. All of it.” I sighed.

“You should just keep them in the dark. It’s like, every girl’s dream to have guys fight over her. I, for one, would of have them fighting until we graduated.” Laughed Michelle. I giggled at her proposal which kinda relaxed me as well. My phone chimed and I look back down to the same message. I stared at it before unlocking my phone and answering the text.

To: Nick

Hi. Sorry for the late reply.

“Atta girl. Keep him thinking he might have a chance.” Laughed Michelle.

“You’re so mean. I’m not going with your plan.” I giggled. She sighed in defeat and laughed to herself.

“That would be a hell of a senior year, wouldn’t it?”

“It sure would.” I giggled. My phone chimed again and Nick’s named appeared on screen.

From: Nick

OH THANK GOD YOU’RE NOT DEAD! How is Texas? :)

Michelle looked over my shoulder and laughed loudly, grabbing my mom’s attention.