Chapter 18

*Demi's POV*

Weeks passed since I broke up with Joe, and since then, I've only talked to Michelle and Nick. Michelle had gotten over Nick as he continue to stay with us during breaks and after school. Now they just fight, like how they used to, but not as bad.

During passing periods and when I go to my locker, I find little gifts and notes from Joe. If it's food or candy, I'll give them to Michelle it's it's something like paper hearts or little toys and notes, I'll throw them away. He even gave me a necklace once. I had Nick put it back in Joe's locker. Other than that, Joe hasn't made any effort to get my attention.

One Friday morning, I woke up depressed and runned down. I couldn't understand why until I checked my phone.

December 5. The day Alex died.

I rolled out of bed and got ready for school. My mom was quiet this morning as she made me a bowl of cereal. She still had a small limp, but her leg is much better than when she first hurt it.

"I was thinking, that this weekend, we go back for a bit and visit Alex's family. His mother called yesterday and said they were going to decorated his grave today." She said softly.

"That would be nice." I smiled a bit at her. Her tired eyes lit up a bit as she smiled. I finished my breakfast, got my things, said goodbye to everyone and went outside. Nick was just getting out of the house and walked beside me.

"Hey Demi." He said a bit cheerful.

"Hi." I said softly.

"What's wrong?" He asked. He turned around and continue to walk backwards to face me.

"It's Alex's anniversary today." I said softly. He stops in front of me and I hug him. He stayed quiet as I breathed in deeply and then look up. He smiles at me and I smile back. We continue to walk to school. We got there the usual time we always do. Joe was already with his group of friends, laughing and joking. His face changes when he sees me walking with Nick. One of his friends noticed and got the others to notice too.

"Ooooo, she's playing with all the Jonas's now!" Laughed one of them. Joe punched the same one, but the other continue to mock. Nick placed his hand on my back and lead me inside the school faster to get away from them. Michelle was at our lockers, reading a textbook.

"Demi!" She said happily, getting up and running over to hug me. She looked at Nick and her face turned.

"Idiot." She said.

"Nerd." He chuckled.

"So what's going on? Why are you all excited today?" I asked.

"Guess who just asked me to winter formal?" She sung.

"Who?"

"Wade! From science class!" She said with a giggle. I rolled my eyes and we all sit back down on the hallway.

"Like, he's so cute! I didn't believe he would like me!" She said dreamily.

"Michelle, he's had a crush on you since The 5th grade. Everyone knew that." Said Nick.

"Well, I didn't." She said, ignoring him immediately after. The bell rang and we got up to get our stuff from our lockers for our first class.

"Demi, in so sorry." I turn around and see Joe standing there.

"You know what Joe, I'm done with you. We've broken up three weeks ago and you still haven't understood that I DON'T WANT TO BE WITH YOU ANYMORE."

"But Demi!" Said Joe. He tries to step forward but Nick cuts him off by pushing him away.

"Just leave her alone Joe." Nick pushed his hand down. His face became red with anger.

"I thought I told you to stay away from her! I don't care that you have a little crush on her." Shouted Joe. A crowd of people started to form around us. I felt more and more uncomfortable ever passing second.

"Joe, stop it, your making a scene." Said Michelle. Nick tried once again to push him back, but Joe swiftly brought his arm around and hit Nick on the eye.

"Joe stop it!" I shouted. Some gasped, others started to chant fight over and over again. I held onto Nick, trying to help him up. Joe grabbed him and pulled him away from me.

"You have to choose! Me or Him!" Shouted Joe. His face filled with anger and a bit of fear. I looked over to Nick, who was looking at me sadly. I didn't know what to do, I was frozen stiff.

"Well?" He shouted. I opened my mouth, but I couldn't say a word. Then I did the first thing my instinct told me.

I ran.

I continued to run until I reached the fountain in the middle of the school's garden. I sat down on a bench and begun to cry in frustration.

"Demi!" I turn to see Michelle running over to me. I wiped tears as she walked over to me.

"What is going on that your not telling me?" She said. She sat down next to me and I sigh.

"I don't know." I sigh.

"Well your ex boyfriend and my ex boyfriend are in serious shit right now." She said. I look at her surprised.

"Nick got suspended, only because he was attacked. Joe, though, he got expelled."

"What?? I thought you have to have three strikes! He only had two this year!"

"Fights are intolerable. He's a senior, he should be getting ready to graduate, not getting into fights."

"I knew that part, but still." We stayed quiet for a bit.

"I'm so done with this. First, I split with Joe, then it's my friend's death anniversary, then my best friend likes me, this is all too much!" I groaned, putting my face down on my lap.

"How do you know that Nick likes you? Joe is a jealous guy, he could just made that up in his head." Said Michelle.

"Mitch, he didn't deny it! He stood there and said nothing about it!" I stood up and begun pacing around.

"Unless he's tried kissing you, then I don't believe it." She said. I stop in my tracks, not turning to her.

"You've got to be kidding me! When was this?!" She said surprised.

"...The day we both got sick." I said with a sigh.

"The day he want over to apologize? I knew you were keeping something from me!"

"You guys broke up like two days prior, I couldn't tell you that!"

"Well it's dandy to know that you would of kept it from me! What else has you two done that I don't know?" She asked.

"Michelle, please, nothing else happened. I promise you that." She was standing up with all her yelling. She sat back down and breathed in deeply.

"Fine." She sighed I go up and hug her tightly.

"I have to go through a lot being friends with you, you know that." She mumbled

"Thanks, for being the best friend I could see ask for. Second to Alex anyways."

"Great, I'm second to a corpse." She mumbled. I slap her arm and she complained loudly.

"Respect the dead, they can't defend themselves."

"Sorry." She said in the same complaining tone. I rolled my eyes and helped her up.

"Now let's go, we've missed half the class already." Giggled Michelle.

"I don't think it's so bad missing a day of Othello." I giggled.

"You know what, your right. Come on, let's get something in the cafeteria, I heard their serving ice cream today." We linked arms and made our way down the empty hall.

___________________________

Guys I'm still stuck in a rural country with very limited wifi. Help.

Comment and Vote Lovelies!

~Jen :3