Chapter 8

*Demi’s POV*

It’s been more than a week since Joe and I sat down in the bench in back of my house. Since then, it’s rained twice, I failed a quiz, and almost got ran over by a jock and a couple of cheerleaders.

And that was just today.

As Halloween inched closer, Michelle got more and crazier about her costume and the midnight party over at one of the football player’s home. She was so excited because she had planned to have matching costumes with Nick. I laughed so hard when she suggested (or more like stated) that they should. Nick bluntly disagreed, and frankly looked kinda scared. But she ended up convincing him anyways.

I never like Halloween all that much, only because I scare easy, and since I had no real friends to enjoy it with. Ever since the 7th grade, I would stay home with Alex and watch movies and pig out on candy and popcorn.

I guess now I have to be alone this year.

I was slumped over on the sofa, typing my essay on my laptop, while the rain continue to pour over the house.

“Is it still raining?” cries Maddie.

“Maddie, it’s been on and off again all day.” I move my laptop to a side.

“But Halloween! What if it rains?!” she dramatically throws her arms up in the air.

“Maddie, it’s on Friday. Like five whole days away. The rain will clear off by then.”

“A-Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m pretty sure.” I said with a smile.

“Ok.” She said a bit sadly as she walked off again. I get back to my laptop, when someone knocks on the door. I groan to myself and get up. When I open the door, I find Joe standing there with a soaked rain coat.

“Hey there stranger.” I smiled.

“Hey yourself.” I step to the side and let him in.

“So why risk a cold to come and visit?” I asked.

“My mom wants to borrow some…” he pauses and pull out a measuring cup from inside his coat.

“…Some sugar.” He smiled. I chuckle and take the cup from his hands and walk over to the kitchen and he follows behind me. I take out the large bag of sugar out into the counter and get a scoop with the cup.

“Is your mom making some pastries or something?” I asked, turning back around to him.

“A pie. Last minute she noticed that we had no more sugar and I’m too lazy to drive.” He chuckles.

“Well, let me know when she’s done with it so I can grab a slice.” I take out the plastic wrap and cover the cup carefully. I hand it back to him and he puts it in a pocket on the inside of his jacket. I walk him back to the front door. A clasp of thunder vibrated the framework of the house.

“Of course, Oh and Demi?”

“Yea?” I asked. He puts his hood on as the rain pours down even harder.

“Oh, um. Never mind. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said before running back out into the rain.

“Strange boy.” I laugh to myself as I close the door.

The next morning, the rain continued to pour. I look at my phone and see that I recently got a message from Joe asking if I wanted a lift to the school, instead of walking in the rain. Joe usually doesn’t take his car to school, since we’re so close, but this is an exception. I quickly texted him ‘yes’ and got ready quickly. I dressed as warmly as possible and grabbed an apple and my umbrella. I quickly kissed my mom on the cheek before heading out into the rain. Joe’s car was waiting for me and I dashed inside without getting me or the inside too wet.