Chapter 21

I rolled around in my sheets early the next morning. Michelle had stayed late and slept on multiple blankets on the floor. I didn’t understood why when I have a queen sized bed and we both fit on it fine. My mother walked in, knocking softly. I didn’t want to appear as if I was awake for hours- which I was- but as if she just woke me up. I squinted my eyes and smiled softly.

“Hey there.” She said softly.

“Hi.” I said with a smile. One of my teddy bears had slipped off from my bed and fallen onto Michelle’s head. It wasn’t just an ordinary bear, it was this light up, dancing, battery-runned toy from Build-A-Bear, so it woke her up the instant the bear had made contact. My mother walked over, ignoring her swearing as she clutched onto the contact area.

“It’s just a bump. I’ll get some ice. You two get ready, we have a long day ahead of us.” She got up and went back outside. Michelle continued to mumble swears as I got out of my bed and grabbed some clothes. I walked to the bathroom, the day’s outfit in hand.

Last time I went to Texas with Dallas, we drove there, which took a whole day of driving. I missed a day of school after I came back home because Dallas and I were exaughsted. She stayed for an entire week before retuning back to Texas.

But this time, my mother had bought us plane tickets to arrive there in just a matter of hours. Michelle had bought her own and just told me during last night’s dinner that she had.

“I wanted to go with you! I’ve never been to Texas before, and we’re about to graduate! I want the chance to explore a little before leaving for university.” She said cheerily.

“But it’s TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS.” I said loudly.

“I know, but still.” She replied smugly. I gave up and continued to eat my mash potatoes. And apparently, our mothers knew well before! I always seem to be the last to know everything.

I took a bit longer of a shower than I usually do and sat on the toilet, thinking about everything.

I’m visiting my dead best friend today.

I’m going to see his family too.

They’re all going to be crying.

And it’s my fault.

A soft knock at the door snapped me out of my thoughts and had me changing a bit quicker.

“You ok in there Demi?” asked Michelle quietly.

“Yea, everything is fine. Just tired, is all.” I replied back as I pulled my shirt over my face.

“Ok, then. Hurry up please? I still need to shower.” She said softly.

“Ok, then, just give me a minute.” I chuckled. I finished in the time limit I had set myself and got out. She was seated by the door and looks up at me with a smile.

“Thank god, I was thinking you were never going to get out.” She said with a weak smile. I chuckle ad stand aside to let her through. Being the lazy person she is, she crawls on hands and knees inside the bathroom and shut the door behind her. By the time we were all ready, it was 7am. We all had backpacks or a small bag for our clothes for tomorrow and we headed off. When we got to the airport and through security, we took our bags that luckily fit as carryon and we waited in the Starbucks inside.

“Flight 1028 now boarding at gate 2B.” Said the lady over the speaker. I look down at the ticket and stood up.

FLIGHT 1028 HUSTON, TEXAS BOARDING 10:30 ARRIVING APPOX 13:53

“Mom, what time is 13:53?” I asked, still clutching onto my little coffee cup.

“1:53, Demitra.” Said my mother as we rushed to the gates.

“Geezee, Demi. Don’t you know how to read time?” joked Michelle. I punched her lightly on the shoulder and we reach the gate just in time. I checked my phone one last time as we sit down on our seats.

Nick: Call me when you land x

I sighed deeply and shut down my phone. Michelle looked at me worriedly but I brushed her off.

Most of the flight, I don’t remember because I was asleep for most of it. All I remember was the nice flight attendant giving me pizza about an hour and a half in the flight. But when we landed, it was just a flurry of reds, greens, silver and gold’s all over the place in the forms of oversized ornaments, trees, tinsel and posters that decorated the airport. Alex’s parents with his little sister, May, waited for us at the entrance.

“Demi!” she cried as she ran over to hug my leg tightly. I bent down to her level so I could talk to her. Her light blue eyes are the only thing that was different from Alex. Other than that, the similarities are amazing.

“Hey there May! I missed you! Look how much you’ve grown! Oh, god, come here.” I hug her tightly as she wraps her little arms around me.

“I missed you.” She said.

“I missed you too.” I sighed. I stood up and hugged Alex’s parents as they gave me the same teary-eyed look they gave me when I last saw them. I introduced them to Michelle and my mother gave them all hugs as well and we went off to the car where we drove back to Alex’s house.

“Here we are.” Said Alex’s dad with the best tone of voice as he could. I looked around, completely broken hearted. Everything was the same. Exactly the same as I’ve left it.

“Wow. I miss this pace.” I sighed softly.

“Are you sure it’s ok that we stay here Maggie? It’s kinda a lot, and we could always stay with Dallas.” Said my mother.

“It’s no big deal, really. You guys are like family.” Said Alex’s mother with a soft voice.

“Alright girls, I’ll let you settle down, and we’ll be off to see Alex in…20 minutes. Demi, you remember where the guest room is right?” Said Alex’s dad, looking at his watch.

“Yea, I remember like if it was the back of my hand.” I said with a soft smile. He smiled a bit before leaving into the kitchen. I led my mother and Michelle to the room that I remember the most vividly. It’s right across from Alex’s room. The room where I found him. We put down our stuff and get settled in. I decided to go into Alex’s room quietly.

Everything was the same as before I found him. His bed neatly made, as if he would come home any second. His photos, his books, even his pile of CD’s on the edge of his bed. All still there. I sat on the edge of the bed and stared at the closet in front of me. Vivid memories of him hanging from the closet bar barged into the front of my mind. Michelle found me breaking down on the bed as she runs over to comfort me.

“Whoa, it’s ok, Demi, everything is fine.” She hugged me and rubbed my back softly.

“It was all my fault.” I whispered in between sobs.

“No it isn’t. Not it isn’t.” she repeated softly as I cried on her shoulder.

________________________________________________

I'M SO SORRY I PRATICALLY ABANDOED YOU GUYS I HAD ALOT OF THINGS GOING ON AND I'M SO SORRY T-T

And i'm sorry for the short filler too, but like, fillers are good. Thier like the lettuce or tomato part of a sandwitch. Or else it would be just bread with meat. I don't know what i'm talking about.

Comment and Vote Lovelies!

~Jen ^-^