Lesson 3: Lying Is Your BFF

Scratching the back of his ear, Mickey stared out into the distance of the school’s parking lot. He watched his fake girlfriend and her best friend walked towards a car, laughing and chatting idly with one another.

       He was going to drive her home after school, possibly convince her to sneak him up into her room for another “lesson”. But, somehow, guilt filled him that morning in the car ride. He felt partially bad for pretty much taking advantage of Michelle Richmond after she was dumped terribly by her “lover”.

       Mickey scoffed at that word, lifting his cigarette to his lips. Lover, love,– Words of the same filled with crap.

       Sure, there was love that you felt towards your family. That just came automatically with or without your choice. But the love Michelle claimed she had for Logan O’Connors, quite the bull crap in Mickey’s opinion.

       She was finally freed from that eight year relationship with the douchebag, who definitely cheated on the girl in many occasions, but she didn’t take it as that she was freed. She took it as that she needed to somehow be placed back into the terrible prison. It was unfair for her and everyone else in surroundings, because she definitely had the looks you wanted to just bang out of her.

       Though, the whole prison concept that Mickey played in his mind, made him not bother for a girlfriend.

        What was so great about it?

        There were, of course, people that would cheat. They wanted more than the relationship offered, because they were self-centered. Then, there were people that actually committed to the relationship? Mickey saw himself, if in a relationship, to be the type of person that would actually commit and not cheat. He knew he was raised better than to be self-centered in any kind of relationship– and that scared him.

       Mickey shook his head. He was getting into thoughts he didn’t want to think about. His eyes snapped over to Michelle and watched her walk with such a carefree aroma. It made his lips lift into a small smile.

       So, the reason that Mickey decided to skip out on driving his adorable, fake girlfriend home in the afternoon was, because he had a feeling that she wanted to vent to someone about the situation she was in. Expose the fake relationship, the terrible heartbreak she pretty much masked away, and just whatever else to someone. He had his money on the blue haired girl and he pretty much won his mental bet.

       It wasn’t that hard to figure out Richmond, but for others, it must be the most difficult thing to do. She always put up facades to people, but from living with his rich mother, Mickey ended up learning how to know what was real or fake.

       Mickey’s smile suddenly dropped when he remembered that he had to come up with a new lesson to teach the girl. There were so many things that he could teach, but nothing came to mind and it almost groan in frustration. Never before did he need to teach anyone anything. Even now, the topic that he’s teaching was something he knew better than the back of his hand, but coming up with what he should teach next.

       He needed someone. Someone that always helped him out.

       An imaginary light bulb flashed over his head and he grinned. He just needed to find–

       “Hey, Mick. Where’s that little, fake girlfriend of yours?”

       Mickey turned his head to the owner of the voice and his grin morphed into a smirk. “Just the guy I was looking for...”

 *

Michelle prayed to God that Luis, Tami’s younger brother, had a life threatening situation that required Tami to back out of TMTM, or lengthened, Tami and Michelle’s Talk Moment. A crappy title they gave for whenever they needed to talk, but it was made up in the sixth grade. At the last minute, while the couple were almost to Michelle’s house, Luis suddenly called and claimed that he needed his sister for a dire situation.

       “I’m sorry,” Tami repeated for the hundredth time as she pulled over in front of the Richmond’s residence.

       She laughed and waved her hand dismissively. “It’s fine, Tam. We’ll just have our TMTM another night,” she responded, hopping out of the car. “I’ll text you tonight?” Despite how nonchalant Michelle was acting, she was annoyed and upset about nothing have the TMTM.

       Her blue haired friend bobbed her head in a nod. “Alright. See ya.”

       She threw the door closed and took a step away from the car as Tami drove away from the house. Michelle looked over her shoulder at her house and debated on whether to go home or not, or in other words, be criticized or not. She decided on the latter choice and began walking down the sidewalk, away from her house.

       It gave her time to be alone and to think.

       Even though she didn’t seem to show any care, her heart throbbed in invisible pain. Her heart didn’t want her to move onto Mickey from Logan, but in all honesty, she didn’t. She still missed Logan– that’s why she bothered to hang out with the town’s bad boy.

       She felt like she was betraying Logan when she was doing all in her power to win him back.

       A weak, helpless sigh escaped Michelle’s lips as her eyes gazed upon the sky. Barely a cloud in sight of the clear, blue sky. Was it a good idea to make a deal with the devil? Was it really helping her win back her man, or was it just pushing him away?

       Unanswered questions kept filling her head, annoying the hell out of herself. Why couldn’t she have an answer?

       Sounds of heavy breathing and fast steps filled the air and right when she lowered her head from looking from the skies, a body slammed against hers. The two collapsed and Michelle forced back a grimace at the pain now in her back. Her dress wasn’t any help to cushion her fall. She lifted her body and furrowed her eyebrows at the sight of bright, cherry red hair.

       The girl looked at Michelle, emerald eyes wide in bewilderment. “I’m so sorry,” she said quickly, standing up. She didn’t bother helping her up as she continued running down the sidewalk.

       Michelle’s blue eyes followed the girl in utter confusion. She was dressed in jeans and a hoodie, her hair partially being covered by a beanie. So, she was definitely not out in a jog. If she was, she’d probably help Michelle up and be more calm and relaxed. No, she looked panicked and seemed to be running from someone. There were even faint blood stains on her jeans, but those didn’t look quite serious.

       With a sigh, she picked herself up and dusted off the dirt from her dress. Whatever the girl was running from, Michelle silently hoped that she made to who knows where she’s heading safely. She turned back to where she was heading and continued walking, not seeing anyone around that could’ve possibly been chasing the red haired girl.

       A silly thought appeared in her head. People, mainly girls, seems to enjoy coloring their heads in oddball colors.

       “Hey...”

       She turned her head and frowned in confusion at the sight of a man in an old, beaten up pickup truck. He looked around her age; probably a few year older. His hair was a dark brown, nearly black, color and cut short all around, except for the front as it was a bit longer and curled upwards. His eyes were shielded away behind black, ray ban sunglasses. The only thing of his outfit that Michelle could see was his black, short sleeved tee that hugged his body.

       “You’re Michelle, right?” he asked, raising a dark eyebrow at her.

       Hesitantly and slowly, she nodded her head. “Yeah, uh. Who are you?” she inquired, giving the inside of her cheek a soft bite.

       “The name’s Ronnie.” He grinned at her. “I’m here to give you a quick, little lesson.” He remained quiet for a moment before adding, “On Mickey’s behalf, of course.”

       Her blue orbs grew wide in shock and bewilderment. He’s a friend of Mickey?

       “Lesson three; lying is your best friend.”

       “Wha–”

       “Mickey was right. You are a very, very beautiful girl,” Ronnie commented, interrupting whatever she was going to say. His lips turned up into a playful smile. “And, trust me, Sweetie, that was no lie.” He rolled up his window and sped away, leaving Michelle standing there, not knowing what to say or think.