Lesson 15: Screw Peer Pressure!

Practically four weeks passed since the big “breakup” between Mickey Varsity and Michelle Richmond. No one expected it to be a big deal since it was still a buzzing topic. That is only, because Mickey’s behavior seemed have taken a step towards the worse. He became more violent, picked more fights, and seemed to have more “girl toys”.

       It was the day before Halloween and Michelle walked down the halls, batting a hand over her mouth as she yawned. She continued dressing and acting like a bad girl, not forgetting all the lessons on bad Mickey taught her. To most people, it seemed like she even got worse as well.

       “Michelle!” a group of girls cried and before she knew it, Michelle was surrounded.

       She rose an eyebrow at the group, looking around at all the familiar faces. Each girl that surrounded her are a part of their school’s dance committee. The girl in front of Michelle, though, happened to be her blue haired friend. “Uh, what?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

       “We kinda need your help,” Tami stated as the rest of the girls whimpered in agreement.

       “I’m not helping with decorations,” Michelle stated. She did a quick scan around the hallway, over the girls, catching sight of the number of people putting up banners and flyers for tomorrow’s dance. Fortunately, the school decided to have the dance on Thursday, the actual day of Halloween, because some seniors were planning to have a huge party on Friday. “Plus, there’s enough people already helping out.”

       “It’s not that,” Tami responded curtly with a long side before she slumped against the neighboring locker.

       “Oh? Then what?”

       “Mickey’s friends are being assholes,” she explained, frowning sheepishly. “They’re taking down or scribbling on the posters, mocking the school’s committee, and so on. I know that you and Mickey broke up, but do you think you could ask him to stop his friends?”

       Another chortle of agreements waved through the group of girls.

       A pained expression spread across Michelle’s face and she forced herself to look up at the ceiling instead of at the pouting girls. Despite her new, bad girl facade, Michelle was as weak as ever to people in need of help. “But, it’s Mick–”

       “You don’t have to,” Tami interjected, “seeing as you two just broke up and all. It’s fine.”

       With a sigh, she looked back at her blue haired friend. “I’ll do it since I know how hard you girls worked on this dance–” She couldn’t even finish her sentence when the group of girls closed in on her in a suffocating, group hug. “Get off,” Michelle demanded in a strong voice, despite the lack of oxygen in her lungs.

       The girls immediately peeled themselves off of her.

       Without another word, Michelle trotted past the girls and down the hall, clutching her books against her chest. She went around a corner quickly and pressed her back against the wall while she squeezed her eyes shut and released a sigh.

       Why did she agree with the girls to talk to Mickey? She could’ve easily rejected them and told them to go ask him themselves.

       She opened her eyes and stared at the floor in front of her. In all honesty, despite showing it, Michelle actually missed hanging out with Mickey and Ronnie. So, that was why she agreed to talk to him.

       She missed having conversations with him. She never realized how fun Mickey was, even with that real and fake Mickey stuff. For an unknowing reason, Mickey was constantly on Michelle’s mind. He replaced all thoughts of Logan. Actually, even before her break up with the bad boy, he seemed to also replace thoughts of Logan as well. Not all of them, of course.