Lesson 8: Never Help Your Ex

This was exactly what he wanted: a girl that would be able to love him and be willing to make love to him.

       Those two things, he wasn’t exactly getting. He was getting sex and lust, just no love.

       Logan bit the inside of his cheek, blatantly not paying attention to whatever his friends were talking about around him. Breaking up with Michelle was not his favorite choice, but he knew she couldn’t give him what he wanted. Oh, such crap what he was thinking. Of course, she would’ve given herself up to him eventually! But eventually wasn’t good enough for him.

       Not only that, but with Michelle– He wasn’t lying when he called her a goody, goody. Everyone, throughout the school and the town, knew she was one. Not taking any risks, only playing the good cards and that gets frustrating after being with her for so long. His face scrunched up a bit. How did they even manage to be dating for– what?– eight years? That meant they started in the fourth grade. His eyes brightened as he remembered.

       They were having a playdate at his house. They just finished playing with dolls (Michelle’s choice) and had nothing else to do, so they decided to go for a walk at Jefferson Park.

       Then suddenly, as they walked near the bad side of the park, Logan recoiled memory of his older sister yapping away about her boyfriend on the phone to her friend, just the night before. An idea popped into mind and he asked bluntly, “Want to be my girlfriend?”

       Michelle’s bushy, little eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. “I thought I already was.”

       “No, no! Not girl, space, friend. I mean girlfriend without spaces!”

       Still confused, she just agreed, “Okay. I’ll be, uh, your girlfriend. What do I do as your girlfriend?”

       “Be fun!” he screamed then tackled her to the floor, making her burst into a fit of giggles.

       Logan’s lips lifted into a small smile at that memory. It surprised his family and hers that they managed to actually stay as “girlfriend” and “boyfriend” for just so long, only beginning to actually date in the eighth grade. He couldn’t bare the looks from guys whenever they would shamelessly check her out, because jealousy was just annoying.

       Throughout these years, Logan couldn’t deny that he was acting selfish towards Michelle. He always kept her sheltered, almost like one of those possessive boyfriends, so he wasn’t surprised that she turned out goody, goody like she did.

       “Hey, Logan,” one of his friends suddenly said, nudging him, breaking him from his thoughts. “Lookie who’s walking this way with Mr. Bad Ass.”

       Logan turned his head and caught sight of Michelle walking into the building, hand-in-hand with the Mickey Varsity. She had her head rested on his shoulder, her mouth moving for a bit then pausing for Mickey to respond. Her lips lifted into an adorable smile as she said something in return, which only made Mickey smile as well. And it was an actual smile, something that this school has never seen before.

       God. She looked as beautiful as always. Her hair pulled up into a neat ponytail with loose hair on either side of her face. She wore a denim, button up shirt with its sleeves folded over her elbow and a white, frilly skirt that just barely went past her mid-thighs with a brown belt wrapped around her waist.

       His teeth clenched and his grip on the strap of his backpack tightened. Michelle seemed to move on with the most feared man in all of town.