Lesson 31: Disses Are For The Misses

It was weird.

       Waking up on December twenty-fourth and actually anticipating for something good– something interesting– to happen on that day.

       Really weird, Michelle repeated to herself as she slipped out of bed in a pair of plaid, pajama pants and one of Mickey’s sweatshirts. The moment she stepped out of her room, since she promised Ella that she would do so the night before Christmas Eve, Christmas music met her ears. Actually, the Christmas music was so loud, she wouldn’t be surprised if any time of the day they’d get complaints from neighbors.

       Hearing this music on this very day– It was weird.

       She padded her way down the stairs, not bothering to check Mickey’s room if he was there. He told her the other day that he was going to wake up early to help his mother do last minute decorations. And boy– didn’t they do last minute decorations.

       The railings were perfectly in red and green and the rugs on the staircase was replaced with a Christmas patterned ones. A large and beautiful mistletoe hung from the chandelier that was above the staircase. The doors and doorframes were covered in various pine swags and wreaths. The mirrors and nightstands were covered in Christmas lights.

       Once Michelle stepped down onto the first floor, she turned her head towards the living room, curious to see if they’d have a Christmas tree.

       And there it stood. The biggest Christmas tree that she had ever seen in her life and it was completely embellished with ornaments. A large, illuminated angel sat on top of the tree in a golden dress with a candle in hand.

       “This is also weird,” she mumbled to herself, completely in awe.

       Knocking from the front door interrupted Michelle from marvelling the tree. She faced the door and walked up to it, calling out over the music, “I got it!”

       “No!” Mickey barked when she just unlocked the door and stepped away, about to pull it open.

       She looked over at the shirtless man as he raced into the foyer. “What?” she inquired.

       He ignored her and dove for the door when it flew open, revealing a grinning Ronnie standing there in a large, winter jacket, scarf, and hat with red nipping at his cheeks. Mickey collapsed onto the floor, much to Michelle’s bewilderment.

       Her eyes widened and she ducked down, laying her hand on his back. “Are you okay, Mickey?” she inquired worriedly while he just laid there.

       He pushed himself up onto his knees and glared at her, surprising her again. “Why did you answer the door?” he snapped.

       “E-Ella told me to answer the door whenever I’m close to it,” Michelle answered, not understanding what she did wrong.

       Mickey sighed, shook his head, and stood up. He held a hand down to her and helped her up, pulling her to his chest. He turned his glare over to Ronnie and snapped, while Ronnie came inside and closed the door behind himself, “Didn’t I tell you to stop coming over on Christmas? Don’t you and your family spends Christmas together?”

       That’s when it dawned upon her. Mickey wasn’t mad at her for opening the door– He was mad that she opened the door for Ronnie, because he didn’t want his friend in his house.

       “We do!” Ronnie answered in a cheerful voice, grinning. “At your house!”

       He groaned and dropped his head on Michelle’s shoulder. “I hate him so much,” he grumbled, causing Michelle to laugh and pat his shoulder.