Lesson 30: Haters Have To Hate

“Are you sure?”

       “I’m positive.”

       “Like completely positive… or like ninety percent positive?”

       Mickey stopped walking, but since Michelle was a good distance away from him, she didn’t slam into his back. He faced her and folded his arms over his chest, flexing his muscles. “You already bought the dress and shoes for tonight’s dance. Don’t want to put good fabrics to waste,” he said, amusement lingering in his voice.

       “I got it from a thrift store,” she replied, raising a finger. “It was cheap and I could wear it any other times. It won’t be a waste.”

       Tami made it clear at lunch on Tuesday what she told Mickey and what deal they conjured up. She told him about how Michelle wasn’t a big fan of parties, mainly high school house parties and winter dances, and how she hated Christmas– both Eve and Day. That seemed to contradict with Mickey’s strange, enthusiastic Christmas spirit. So, they devised the plan that Mickey would try boosting Michelle’s Christmas spirit by taking her to the winter dance, but since Mickey hates school dances, Tami has to go to the dance with a man of Mickey’s choosing.

       That choosing just so happened to be Ronnie, not surprising Michelle whatsoever.

       His amber orbs rolled, but no amusement disappeared. He didn’t seem to take any of her pleas to heart, because he just continuously looked amused or happy. Michelle deducted that it was from his high Christmas spirit. “We’re going to the dance, especially if I have to dress you myself,” Mickey stated, grinning.

       “I don’t like Christmas,” Michelle stated for the first time. She never confirmed her Christmas hate before. “Actually, I hate it. I prefer not to go to a party that celebrates–”

       “Why?”

       She arched an eyebrow at Mickey’s now curious face. “Why what?”

       “Why do you hate Christmas?” he reiterated, making more sense of the question.

       “You think my parents only became the way they are recently? Sure, the abuse started around now, but not their strong dislikes towards me,” Michelle said bluntly. “Do you think they’d waste their time and money to make me happy for some random day? I never believed in Santa, St. Nick, or whatever Christmas tales there are. I don’t watch Christmas specials or movies, which is why I have a Netflix account that I reopen in December so I don’t have to waste my time finding a channel that doesn’t celebrate Christmas.” With that, she finished her rant, noticing the surprised look on her boyfriend’s face.

       “Wow,” he said, rubbing his chin with the palm of his hand, raising an eyebrow at her. “I never would’ve thought I’d meet someone so bipolar than me about holidays.”

       “I’m sorry. My childhood was partially fine, don’t get me wrong, but it was never oriented around holidays,” she murmured, feeling embarrassed for her rant. Heat burned her cheeks and she looked down at the ground. It was quite harsh.

       A finger slipped underneath her chin and lifted her head so that she was looking at him. “Don’t apologize for the stupidity of your idiot parents,” Mickey said, taking a step closer so that there was little space between them. “Since you’re living in the Varsity’s household now, we’re gonna make you have the Christmas spirit. You think I’m in a good mood now, but just wait ‘til Christmas Eve comes. Not only that, but my mom is more berserk than me when it comes to this time of year.”