Lesson 26: Learn To Hide Things Better

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

       “Oh, my god! What happened?”

       “What’s up with you lately? A little clumsy?”

       “Hope you get better!”

       “I seriously hope you’re like alright!”

       Michelle just ducked her head as she made her way through the halls on crutches. She fastened her pace, hating the widespread attention she was gaining. She refused to answer any questions to anyone. It would probably lead to a large spill that’d cost her and possibly Mickey’s lives.

       Heck. By this time, she didn’t care as much for her life as she did for Mickey’s. As long as he was safe and fine, it was all that mattered to her.

       “Let me guess. It was an accident?”

       Stopping at her locker, she glanced over to the figure that leaned against the locker beside hers. Tami’s eyes were narrowed and her tongue was being bit down on by the tip. “It was,” Michelle chimed, reaching out and unlocking her locker.

       “Michelle, you and I both know that’s pure BS,” Tami responded, keeping her voice low so that no one could overhear them. “The twins even know that. What are you hiding?”

       “I’m hiding nothing,” she snapped, continuing to deny. Michelle struggled in taking out her books, especially with the crutches, but Tami quickly snatched the books from her arms. “Thank you,” she sighed in relief.

       “It’s fine,” Tami dismissed with an eye roll. “So, why won’t you tell me? Aren’t we best friends?”

       “Ah, using the best friend card for nothing, I see.”

       “You are full of utter shit, ma’am.”

       Michelle smirked and closed her locker. “I know what you are, but what am I?” she retorted, heading towards the science wing, knowing that Tami was following.

       “A liar,” her blue haired friend answered immediately. No need to hesitate at all.

       “Just drop it, Tam.”

       “Ha, I knew there was something!”

       Stopping, Michelle glared at Tami. “I said drop it,” she hissed then continued with a threat, “I might not be in a perfect form to punch you, but I can still whack you with my crutch.” She raised the white stick as a threat, but still knew that it was pretty much an empty threat.

       Tami snorted. “So scary.”

       “It should be,” she chimed, smirking. “Now, shush up and take my books to my class, minion.”

       “Yes, master.”

       Biting the inside of her cheek, Michelle debated on whether it was a good idea to keep this whole thing a secret. It just had to be.

 *

Logan stared at his phone in confusion. The caller ID wasn’t someone he expected to call, but then again– “Hello?” he said, picking up the phone.

       “Logan, me boy!” exclaimed a happy Mr. Richmond. “How are you doin’?”

       “Uh, good,” Logan answered, partially relaxing. He was still confused as to why Michelle’s father was calling him. He seemed to do that a lot to check in on their relationship. “What may I do for you, Mr. R?”