Lesson 24: Don't Mess With Minds

Isn’t it like things are meant to be like they used to now?

       Michelle sat at the bench, her body snuggled up against Logan’s body with his large, protective arms holding her against him. It should feel right, but it just didn’t, making this experience feel all the well worse.

       “So, are you going to tell me how you got that bruise on your cheek?”

       Glancing over at her boyfriend, she shook her head. “There’s nothing to really say about it,” she answered. “I was being clumsy.”

       Logan snorted and ran a hand over his short, blonde hair. Nothing new changed with his hair; it remained as a buzz cut. “Of course it was.” The way he said those words may have sounded like he didn’t believe her, but in fact, he did.

       Michelle looked away, not realizing that Logan was leaning in to kiss her. So, a firm pair of lips kissed the back of her head instead. She didn’t care though– Actually, Michelle was joyed that she missed the kiss. Kissing Logan just didn’t feel right either, but she couldn’t say that upfront.

       God. If she did say that outloud to him, who knows what would happen?

       So, right there, Michelle turned her head and gave him a soft kiss to the lips then pulled and looked away. Since it was Logan, he didn’t bother for any more kisses. But if it were Mickey she’d be kissing, he would’ve pulled her back and deepen the kiss. Heck, she wouldn’t even pull away, knowing that the kiss would’ve deepened anyway.

       Stop thinking about Mickey. He’s gone– out of your life. He was just a figment of your memory, she scolded herself. The scolding was close to working until she spotted a certain figure dressed in black, skinny jeans and a gray hoodie walking in her direction. Instead of looking up and paying attention to where he were heading, Mickey’s head was ducked as he scrolled through his iPhone, headphones over his ears.

       Not noticing Logan’s smug smirk towards Mickey, Michelle silently gulped. Way to not thinking about Mickey.

 *

He wanted to do nothing more than sock the douchebag in the face and not care that it was in front of the douche’s “girlfriend”. But he couldn’t. It was still Michelle.

       Mickey squeezed his eyes shut momentarily, heading towards where his friends usually were by the school. He should be mad at Michelle. In fact, he should hate her. Ronnie even supported the idea of hating Michelle, but they both knew that Mickey couldn’t. He was putty in that girl’s hand– and he couldn't help it.

       She's his little angel– Mickey's face contorted at those words– or at least she was.

       But something was wrong. This was definitely out of Michelle’s characteristics. And that bruise on her cheek…

       He frowned. Mickey heard Michelle telling people a few times that it was her clumsiness and everyone would just be fine with that response. He knew it was definitely not from “clumsiness”. He received bruises on his face from him being clumsy and from other people before. Michelle’s bruise– Mickey shook his head at himself. He had to stop bothering himself about Michelle.

       She was done and over with him. She had that douchebag Logan now, who she wanted from the start.

       “‘ey, Mickey!”

       Forcing a cool, nonchalant smirk to his face, Mickey got closer to his friends. “Hey,” he greeted, pausing in step at the sight of the locks of black hair going down a tall, girl figure’s back. “Chrissie?”