Lesson 23: Sneaky+Manipulative=Sexy

Wide eyes gawked and followed the sight of the couple walking down the hall. Jaws dropped at the sight of their hands intertwined together, the girl leaning against his side. None of them noticed the lack of confidence in the girl’s step or the deadness in her eyes.

       “Bye, babe.”

       Glancing up at Logan, Michelle forced a fake smile to her face as she pulled away from him. “Bye,” she bidded weakly.

       He stole a kiss from her lips, adding another reason for everyone to gawk, before he turned around and walked away.

       “Okay. I know I said that I don’t like you with Mickey, but you’re back with Logan?”

       Ignoring Tyler, she opened the locker and took her sweet time to exchange books from her backpack and locker. The only time she gave a mere glance to her friend was when she was turning around to head towards her first period.

       “Oh! Now you’re ignoring me?” Tyler questioned with a bitter mocking tone, following her.

       “Just stop,” Michelle hissed, quickening her step. “I can’t– I won’t talk about this right now.” She rounded the corner and practically ran to her science class, knowing that none of her friends were in class with her. She sighed in relief once she entered the class and sat down at her desk, closing her eyes.

       Little did people notice the faint black and blue color below her chin.

 *

“Pass me the cigarette,” Mickey demanded, greedily snatching the cigarette from Isaac’s fingers. He inhaled the toxic fumes then released them into the air.

       It had been a long time since Mickey had a smoke and that long time was killing him. He knew better than to smoke around Michelle, so he didn’t. He never realized, though, that they’d be hanging out with each other as much as they did.

       “Yo, Mickey!”

       Gritting his teeth, those amber orbs reopened. Whenever he had a cigarette in his hand, he wanted to peace and serenity around him, not a jackass that once attempted to rape his girl. “What, Joshua?” Mickey hissed, eyes narrowing at his former friend.

       The boy stopped a few feet away with his hands in the air. “‘ey, ‘ey! I’m not here for any trouble, Varsity!” Joshua proclaimed. “I just want to apologize for your loss.”

       Half of his anger and annoyance shifted into confusion. “What are you talking about? What loss?” Mickey asked curiously, lifting the cigarette to his lips.

       “The one girl you actually wasted time for is now gone.”

       The anger returned full blast and he sneered, “What the fuck are you talking about?”

       “You haven’t heard?” Joshua asked, amusement twinkling in his eyes. “Yeah, well, practically everyone saw your girl being very cozy with O’Connors. She even gave him a kiss to the lips.” He tapped his lips to make a point.

       Mickey scoffed, “As if that actually happened.”

       “Ah, I’m not surprised you don’t believe me.” Joshua scratched the bottom of his neck. “Well, when you see it with your own eyes, don’t say I didn’t tell you about it earlier.” With that, he turned around and walked away, an annoying grin planted on his lips.

       “Is he talking about Michelle?” Isaac asked from beside Mickey as they watched Joshua’s retreat.

       “Who else would he’ve been talkin’ about?” Henry retorted in a snap.