Chapter 15- Happy Birthday To the Queen

Chapter 15- Happy Birthday to the Queen

Word had been received from all the packs and each of the alphas were coming. Though some had to be convinced, all were on their way to our territory, escorted by a member of our pack. The rest of us here were in a rush to set up the evening. Tables, chairs, food, refreshments, and the list went on. Pamela and Maureen gathered a list of things for us to do to accomplish this evening and put us to work.

Skylar and I were sent away for the food and drinks, while the guys placed out the furniture.

"Is this it?" Skylar held something in her hands as she studied it closely.

I peered over her shoulder and shook my head, "No," I stated, "it's that one," I pointed out the item on the shelf.

"Where's the difference?" She examined the two containers.

I laughed, "Trust me, there's a difference," and carried on. I pushed the shopping cart up the aisle as she stood there for a moment before regaining herself and catching up, placing the seasoning in the buggie.

"What else... do we need?" She asked distracted. I watched her twist around both ways. My eyebrow raised as I watched her. "Sorry, do you smell that?" Her voice lowered.

I took a whiff of the air, but could not pin point anything unusual. "What?"

"Shh," she hushed me; her eyes coming to a glare as she glanced around. Her eyes fell on me in question. "Can you not smell that?"

"I don't smell anything out of the ordinary, Sky." I told her.

There was a moment before she shook her head, "Let's just hurry up and finish." I obeyed and started pushing the cart once more to gather our remaining items. We took all our items to the front and checked out. Giving the woman enough to cover everything and to keep some, we left the store and walked back to Ty's truck. We loaded our groceries and hopped into the truck before Sky put the truck in drive and pulled forward.

She drove to the pack house and during the ride we talked about the upcoming night. "I have my dress. Ty's mother helped me pick it out," Skylar said.

"She's a good mother," I commented.

"I'm sorry to bring this up, but when your parents passed away did you and your brother not live with anyone?"

I took a breath before I spoke, "I was curious as to why you never asked about my parents. I assume Ty told you about their accident," she nodded, "I was fifteen. Alex wasn't far from turning eighteen so he somehow was able to persuade whoever to keeping me and when he turned eighteen we packed up and moved to afford living. He's always taken care of me," I said.

"I can see that," she said.

"What about you?" I wander, asking for her story.

I heard her breathe out sharply before saying, "That's a story for another time. At least not tonight," she added.

With understanding I turned my gaze out the window then turn back to ask final question on the subject. "Do you miss them?"

She had no expression on her face, but I saw her body tense then relax. "Yes," she answered simply.

She stopped the truck and turned off the engine before we climbed out. A couple girls came out, I noticed one was Payton.

"Hey!" She ran up to me and gave me a hug. I greeted her back and asked what she was doing as the other girl helped Skylar remove the groceries from the truck and start taking them inside. "Pamela called my mother to see if she could get help with the evening, I overheard some of it, but when she said it had to deal with you, I volunteered."