Chapter VI: Speak

"Sent home early yet again... Damn my second time in less than a week. A new record."

With an ice pack pressed against the back of your head, you watched Vanitas toss his bag at the foot of his bed before collapsing on top of the bed with a loud sigh. You frowned as he lightly pounded the bed with a fist and a groan of frustration.

You were still shaking from earlier. The abuse of course reminded you of him. You had to sit down at the desk chair and tap your fingers lightly on the desk to try to keep yourself from shaking too much. Out of the corner of your eye you saw Vanitas sit up and watch you for a moment before leaving his bed and standing beside you. He grabbed your hands and squeezed them tightly, looking down at their delicacy.

"That fight must have reminded you of some things." He said quietly. You turned away as he flipped your arms over which revealed the fading scars on your arms. "Larxene is a bitch. I'm pissed that she did that to you."

You tried to swallow the lump in your throat as you tried not to cry. You felt awful for putting him through that. After all he was punched because of you, wasn't he? If it wasn't for you, he wouldn't have a swollen cheek and that fight wouldn't have even happened. If the school didn't have cameras you would have been in even more trouble. You looked up at Vanitas with sad eyes and a frown before you hung your head again and refused to look him in the eyes.

"... I'm sorry."

Vanitas gasped with surprise and let go of your hands. He took a step back. You knew he was shocked. You kept hanging your head and refused to look him in the eye, even when Vanitas knelt down to look at your face.

"W-What did you just say?" Vanitas asked gently. He brushed some hair out of your face, in which you responded by blushing and your whole face getting hot with embarrassment. "That's the first time I've heard you talk in such a long time, {Y/N}. Speak some more. Why are you sorry?"

You lifted your eyes so you could look at him. "I'm sorry. It's my fault you were punched, and it's my fault you got into that fight."

Vanitas chuckled softly before shaking his head. "It's not your fault, I promise. Larxene and I have a past together and she just hates me. That's all. You did nothing wrong. I'm the one who should be sorry considering you were injured."

"I'm used to it..." You trailed off as flashbacks of Yaag flashed into your mind. You squeezed your eyes shut, trying to get rid of them as quickly as you could. You wished Vanitas wouldn't notice, but you knew he did. He grabbed you by your shoulders and forced you to stand before he wrapped his arms around your thin, frail body and hugged you.

"You shouldn't be used to it." He said. "That's kinda bad you know."

You got shy again and didn't say anything. You half expected him to beat you as soon as you would talk, but the pain never came. You weren't greeted by the floor when you spoke, which brought a sort of comfort to you. This whole time you were nervous to speak for if you did, he usually would hit you. But when Vanitas didn't get angry, hit you or anything, you felt better. He seemed glad you were speaking. While he was hugging you tightly with his arms wrapped around you and his head resting on your shoulder, you felt calm and protected. It took you a while to get used to the idea before you finally lifted your arms and rested them on his shoulders.

When the two of you didn't say anything after a while, Vanitas released his grip on you before gently patting the top of your head. "Aw you're not going to talk anymore?" When you covered your face and shook your head, he chuckled. "That's okay. I got to hear your sweet voice once and I'm satisfied for now."

You were even more embarrassed. But it was okay, because you knew for sure that Vanitas was never this nice to anyone else. You felt special.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*