Chapter XIV: Park

Vanitas had thoughtfully made you and Sora dinner that same night since Aerith and Zack weren't going to be home. It was just the simple spaghetti and meatballs, however the sauce was homemade by Vanitas himself. He seemed so proud of himself as he shoved the plate into your face.

"Be proud I did a thing." He said jokingly.

You giggled a bit and took the plate gratefully before you sat down at the table to dig in. You could feel Vanitas' eyes on you as you ate, which made you come to a realization. You were eating. You didn't make a scene when someone offered you food, you didn't hesitate to take the plate and sit down to eat. You slowly put the fork down and turned to look at Vanitas, who slightly frowned when you stopped.

"I'm doing a thing too." You said, picking up the fork again and twirling the spaghetti around it. "I'm eating."

Vanitas' smile returned as he approach you and sat down in the seat beside you. "Looks like you gained a little too."

You both exchanged smiles before you took another bite, chewing happily just as someone was knocking on the door. Vanitas was ready to stand up until Sora was running down the stairs and screaming, "I got it I got it!" With such excitement Sora threw the door opened and there stood the ever so mysterious Riku. You didn't stop chewing but you kept your eyes on him as he entered the house with his hands inside his pockets.

"Riku and I are gonna hang out tonight." Sora told his brother. "Vanitas made spaghetti do you want some?"

Riku shrugged in response so Sora bounced away to get him a plate whether he wanted it or not. The four of you sat down at the table to eat after Vanitas got up and made a plate for himself. Three of you were awkwardly silent while Sora was rambling away about his day and how happy he was to see Riku and all the fun things they were going to do today. Riku simply nodded his head and let his friend continue to ramble. You and Vanitas watched with amusement.

"Can we go to the park and throw bread at the ducks? It's funny to watch them fly away and then come back when they realize it's food."

Riku smirked at the thought. "Sure we can do that."

"Awesome!" Sora gulped down the rest of his spaghetti and jumped up to throw his plate in the sink. "Riku are you ready?"

Riku looked down at his plate, which still had a good amount of noodles left. He looked back up at Sora, who let out a sigh of disappointment.

"Get the bread ready or something I'll finish up." Riku told him, which made Sora's bright blue eyes light up as he ran over to the cabinets to get the bread.

Vanitas rolled his eyes. "I don't understand how you can be so patient with that boy." He commented.

Riku shrugged. "We grew up together. You get used to it after a while."

You smiled a bit and watched Sora as he bounced around the kitchen gathering certain things so they would be ready to go to the park. You perked your head up when you had an idea.

"Can I come?"

Sora stopped in his tracks to turn and look at you, his eyes grew brighter as a huge smile erupted onto his face. "Of course {Y/N}! You're always welcomed! Vanitas do you wanna come too?"

"Sure, why not?" Vanitas asked as he finished off his plate and went to leave it in the sink. "I'd love to throw bread at the ducks."

"This is gonna be so much fun!" Sora squealed as he shoved more bread into plastic bags so everyone could have their share.

Once all the plates were finished and in the sink, the four of you got ready to go into the park. Sora handed each of you a plastic bag filled with large pieces of bread and the three of you followed him out the door.