Chapter XIII: Mystery

School became dreadful once again. The bright colors you were starting to see began to fade into dull and mundane colors. Everything around you just suddenly began to seem lifeless, as if they went through something painful as well. You just simply couldn't see anything good about school anymore, and your attitude was as if it was the school's fault that you were miserable. You walked inside with Vanitas and Sora on either side of you, acting like they were your body guards for today. You walked right past your group of friends and went straight to homeroom instead of staying to talk for a bit like you usually would. You heard them whisper about you as you walked by. They said nothing bad or hurtful, their voices were full of worry and concern.

What happened the other night with Riku, Vanitas, Aerith, Zack, Sora... All of them. The memories of last night were still lingering inside your mind. They were nice to you, they never yelled, they never hit you or hurt you. You were just astounded that they were happy instead; happy that you were safe instead of being angry at the fact that you snuck out of the house. You wanted to be grateful that they were there for you, but you just couldn't get over the fact that you saw Yaag once again, and you also couldn't get over the fact that you trusted him and agreed to go with him.

You went to your first period class, which was cooking with Mr.Dilan. With a small sigh you sat down in your seat and rested your elbow on the desk before placing your chin in the palm of your hand. You simply stared at the desk while other students filed inside the classroom. You ignored them until you felt a hand rest on your shoulders. You gasped loudly and jumped in your seat, quickly leaving the chair and whipping around to see who was touching you.

"Oh... I'm sorry." Axel said with a frown. "I didn't mean to scare you so much."

You relaxed before sitting back down and resting your head on the desk. "I'm just jumpy that's all."

Axel knelt down and looked up at you, poking your head so you'd lift it up. "Hey it's alright. We're just concerned that's all." He lowered his voice when people stared looking over. "He's gone now. So let's focus on school and be happy!" Axel shot you a smile before leaving to his seat when Dilan cleared his throat and began class.

The thought of people being worried about you continued to linger in your mind while school continued. It put you in a slightly better mood as you entered your math class, which you dreaded the most. Math wasn't too bad, it was just too much work and too many problems to complete that made you weary of the class. However Riku happened to be in that class with you, and the two of you always had a good time despite the fact that you two didn't talk so much. You sat more towards the back while Riku was in the front. The teacher was sitting at his desk, simply watching as the students filed into the room. His name was Mr. Marluxia (which you mistook him for a girl the first time you saw him for he had pink fluffy hair). He was pretty muscular but the hair just took away the whole "manly" look. You silently judged his choice in hair color as he stood up and began teaching.

"I hope you all did your homework because I want you all to write it up on the board."

There were groans and moans, one kid shouted "Look teach I'm stupid you think I should put my wrong answers on the board?" In which Marluxia told him to write it anyway.

You were told to write number ten on the board, however after what's happened you did not even do your homework. You let out a deep sigh and went to stand up to simply guess on what you needed to do, but then Riku approached your desk. He motioned for you to sit down and shot you a small smile.

"I got you." He said quietly. You sat down with relief as Riku put both of yours on the board before he sat back down.

You watched Riku as he quietly did his work and kept his head low. He simply stared at his paper while you stared at him. He was such a mysterious guy. You never really talked to him even when you and your group of friends were hanging out together. He was usually quiet and hardly made a comment unless it was to insult Sora. He just went with the flow and simply agreed to anything everyone wanted to do. A part of you was curious, but another part of you was too shy to even talk to anyone.

"{Y/N}!" Mr. Marluxia snapped. You jumped in your seat as his voice snapped you back to reality. "The problem you wrote on the board is wrong."

You gulped. "I'm sorry I-"

"That was my problem." Riku interrupted and got the teachers attention. "Number ten was my problem. You gave {Y/N} number fifteen remember?"

"Did I?" Mr. Marluxia took a glance at the board. "I see... Well go and fix it then Riku."

With wide eyes you watched Riku fix the problem. Why would he defend you like that? It wasn't too big of a deal despite the fact that you never did the homework in the first place. You watched him in awe as he quickly fixed his mistakes and went back to his seat. You had no idea what was going through his mind, and you assumed you didn't have to. He helped you out and that was all that mattered.

Before long school itself was over and you were waiting at the entrance for Sora and Vanitas so you could walk home together. However instead of the brothers showing up, Riku did. You looked at him with surprise as he approached you with one hand grabbing onto his bag strap and the other inside his pocket.

"Hey." He said quietly.

"Um hi, Riku." You greeted him with such awkwardness that you wanted to just sprint home.

"Are you alright? You know after what's happened and all..." He asked as he looked at the ground. "I'm just concerned that's all and if I can do anything to make you feel better I will."

You smiled a little at his offer and shuffled your feet a bit. "I don't feel too good but we can always hang out sometime..." You almost whispered your words when you realized you had to speak. You preferred not to talk but sometimes you had to. Forcing yourself created this huge lump in your throat and you tried to swallow it away, but of course it didn't work.

Riku frowned. "Don't go back to being quiet. We all love hearing your beautiful voice. Don't let that asshole stop you from being happy."

You blinked your eyes in surprise and before you could respond, you heard Sora calling out your name in excitement. Riku nodded his head before leaving through the front doors just as the two brothers approached you.

"Awe why did Riku leave?" Sora poured. "He could have came over."

"Maybe he was running away from you, dweeb." Vanitas poked his younger brothers cheek before turning to you. "Ready to go?"

You nodded your head and followed the boys out of the school. Why was Riku being nice all of the sudden? Of course you didn't mind, it was just such an odd thing. You decided to accept his friendliness and go with it. Maybe it'll get him to open up more too. You just couldn't help but become curious about him. He was such a mystery. Very strange and quiet kid, however you wanted to forget everything's that happened and focus on getting Riku to open up. And that's what you were determined to do.

Besides, it should distract you anyway.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I know I haven't written in so long and I'm so sorry that the chapter is short and stuff, but at least it's up. Thank you for reading!

~Yunru