Sherlock - Under the Moonlight

For @Hailey_Atkins

The golden sky started to set into a deep red, and a soft breeze picked up swaying the curtains in your bedroom very gently. Your eyes scanned the sky in anticipation, they widened as the evening began to set in quickly. Realizing you had drifted for too long, you grabbed a pull to keep you warm and a knitted hat to accompany it. After shutting your door you scurried to the stairs but was stopped dead in your tracks when you nearly bumped your nose straight into Sherlock's chest.

His peppery cologne invaded our senses, and his piercing eyes watched you carefully while you stepped back a bit in shock.

"Where are you going Y/N?" His baritone voice hummed.

"Oh uh me, well...I'm late for a date and I really need to go!" You stutter out and avoid eye contact. Your time was running out, you could feel the blood in your veins run faster by the second. Before Sherlock could say anything you slipped past him and ran down the stairs and out the door, where you proceeded to run into the streets of London like a crazed woman.

No one's POV:

'Meet me outside of Barrington Subway Station' Sherlock sent the text to john, in which a minute later John reluctantly agreed and made his way down the same time Sherlock did. John slithered through the crowd and found the dashing Sherlock sitting at a bench. He plopped down beside Sherlock and like that it was like a switch turned on.

"Y/N has been going out for the past five months on every full moon. She heads north judging by the direction she leaves although the town is the opposite way so I know she goes towards the sea. Y/N comes home around 5 am and that isn't a time you would come home from a date, would it? She of course lies about where she's going because she avoids eye contact, uses minimal hand gestures and her face turns absurdly red. You know the signs, oh-well you might not judging by your brain capacity but...oh and hi John." Sherlock smiles.

John glares at Sherlock but switches to the more pressing matter. "So um, why would she lie and go to the sea?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out. And that's why we're following her." Sherlock jumped up and grabbed John who stumbled to catch up. "Are you crazy?!" John whisper-yelled, in which Sherlock replied "Yes, very."

Once the dynamic duo arrived at the beach, they followed the shallow footprints on the empty beach to a small secluded area. Clothing identified as Y/N's scattered along the sand, John started to panic and say terrible scenarios to Sherlock. He shushed john as they rounded a sharp rock-edge corner. There, in the cold ocean water Y/N was half submerged walking slowly into the rolling waves. John sighed and averted his eyes from the half naked woman. "God, she's probably going for a snog in the ocean or something-" John muttered and began to walk back. "Does that look like snogging?" Sherlock yelled. John's head snapped back and saw a now flailing Y/N splashing in the water like she was drowning. Both men quickly removed their jackets and sprinted into the frigid water diving after the beloved girl.

The waves began to get reckless and uncontrollable. Y/N's head disappeared into the dark waters, now Sherlock and John were left screaming for her, gasping for air as they went under in a panic that her body was sinking to the bottom. Before they knew it, John and Sherlock became tired and fearful, the waves had already dragged them out and begun to sallow them up for close to minutes before they could gasp again for air. Sherlock disappeared from Johns blurring sights, and at that moment his thought in his mind; Please god let me live.

With John's last conscious moments, he caught a glimpse of shininess swirling in the water around him, but within the seconds after his eyes drifted closed and the last of his air bubbled out of his mouth as he began to sink.

Your POV:

"Come on Sherlock..." You whine and continue chest compressions. His pale skin was littered with water droplets and sand coated his dark curls like breading.  The seals brought John ashore, thankfully he was breathing but was just passed out from lack of oxygen and fatigue. On the final compressions Sherlock spit up water and gasped for air which springing up into your arms. "Breathe Sherlock just breathe." You whisper and hold him upright as he coughs uncontrollably. Once he was somewhat aware, Sherlock ripped out of your arms and spun around, staring at you angrily. "What the he-" Sherlock yelled but trailed off when he saw the rest of you. Your shirt was still on but it clung to your skin and made your bra quite prominent. To his surprise, a long scaly tail replaced your legs. It glimmered under the light from the moon that was high in the sky.

Sherlock was speechless, his mouth gaped and his eyes darted rapidly around Y/N. She hickuped, catching Sherlock's attention. She was crying.

"We'll do just look at me, say something." Y/N sobbed softly. "No, no this is a hoax." Sherlock doubted and touched your tail. He rubbed his fingers together, feeling the slimy coating from your tail. It was indeed not a hoax. "Y/N..." John had woken up and began to stare at her too. "I'm a monster!" She yelled and tried to scurry back into the ocean. Sherlock tackled her and dragged Y/N back up to the dry sand over many protests.

"What are you? WHAT ARE YOU?" Sherlock yelled and straddled your torso so you couldn't get away. "I'm a selkie!" Y/N yelled back in a fit of tears. "Just let go Sherlock, you won't see me ever again!"

Without a warning Sherlock smashed his lips into yours and settled your whimpers with his lips. It's like your lips fit together like puzzle pieces, they complimented each other with a sweet taste. You separated and Sherlock huffed "I can't loose you, I don't care if you're an angel, demon or selkie."

"But I'm-"

"I don't care how you are or what you are Y/N. I love you any way you are."

"Hamish. John Hamish Watson if you were looking for baby names." John interrupted and smiled softly. "I ruined it didn't I?"

"Yep." You and Sherlock jinxed. Slowly, your tail began to shrink and separate into two legs.

"So you guys accept me? You don't want to send a harpoon through me or something?" You shakily questioned, starting to feel chilled from the midnight air.

"No Y/N, just maybe tell us things." John shrugged his shoulders.

"What is a selkie anyway?" John asked a couple seconds later. "Well, it's like a mermaid of seals. The seals listen to me and every full moon I have to visit them and gather lost fairies and bring them back to the ocean." You explain.

"Yeah okay, you're shitting me." Sherlock chuckled and was about to get up. You slammed him back down and blushed heavily. "S-Sherlock I'm butt naked, I don't have any pants on!" You said awkwardly. He looked down. "Oh."

"John, fetch Y/N's pants will you!" Sherlock said.

Hello everyone! Hope you enjoyed this, I don't usually write mythical things like this. I actually had inspiration for this request from a movie on Netflix called "Song of the Sea" and I loved it so much. A selkie is a real Irish folk tale I believe but yeah. Please vote and comment!

-CW