Two:Chris,Dancing and Chinese Food

In The Air

Chapter Two

No turning back now. May as well walk into the room, no use in looking like a stalker. Standing outside the door like a freaking creeper. I force myself to walk into the room, seeing as I already have his unwanted attention. I watched as he tried to explain himself, looking...nervous? That can’t be true.What’s his problem?I had a small piece of me that wanted to laugh at him.

“I, uhm, I thought that this one was free. I’ll grab my stuff-” He said walking towards his jacket and bag sitting against the mirror.

“Wait! I’m sorry for barging in on you. I saw you dancing and I was just, uhm-”

Great now I’m stumbling.He let out a breathy laugh at the awkwardness of the situation.He put his head down then glanced back up at me.I smiled and tried starting again. “I heard the music and wanted to know where it was coming from. I was just curious,” I said pointing to the door.

“Nah, it’s cool. I was just rehearsing for a show I've gotta put on tonight. Since you were watching me earlier, think you watch it from beginning to end and let me know what you think?"

"Uhm, yeah sure." I walked in front of the mirror and sat my bag down next to my feet. "What track?" I asked turning towards the sound system.

"Track 2” he answered getting into position. I watched as his body stiffen up at the music began to play. Crossing his tatted arms as his face went rigid and he began to dance intensely. His spins were quick and tight, almost seemingly impossible. His waving moves turned his body into liquid. As the verses resounded off of the mirrors and back into his frame, he went harder on each movement. His hot moves turned arctic cold as he mixed simple krump moves with some of Michael Jackson’s. Ranging from his famous crotch grab to moon man spins. The song ended and so did his movements, but my astonishment had me frozen.

“Hey, uhm....Yo, ma, you iight?” he asked waving his hand infront of my face, snapping me out of my daze.

“Oh! Yeah, I’m good. Sorry, Crenshaw.” I offered my hand, he shook it tell me his name was Chris (although I already knew it. Shiiit IT’S CHRIS BROWN, who would know dude?!?)

“So...what do ya think?” he grabbed his water bottle of Vitamin Water off the floor. Taking three gulps and wiping his eyes with the collar of his t-shirt.

I took the time to check him out as he wiped his face. Boy was built, a dancer and a singer? Yeah, it’s impossible he’s single. I quickly came back to earth and answered his question.

“It’s was....eh.” I began leading him on, watching his face drop. I snickered at how fast his face changed. “Chris, I’m kidding!Flat out? It was straight fire, from beginning to end. But do the move you did at the beginning of the second verse. He did the move again and looked at my face as to question why I wanted to see it.

“It looks unfinished, do it again and then I’ll show you what I mean. “ I watched him again then repeated his steps, then stopped to show him where he needed to add something. “You have like ten seconds here to do whatever to connect this to the next one.”

“I know, that where I did this,” he showed me what his movement was again, but he chopped it off because the phrase finished.

“Ah, see the phrase changed and you chopped it that time!” I smiled catching him. He laughed and backing up, giving me his spot to do the move. He turned on the song, playing the verse over again to watch my move. I did it from where he stopped the second time, adding my own things here and there. Rolling here,jigging there, jerk forward then push back with a dougie and finishing with his crotch grab and krump move.

“Damn.” he said with one hand under is arm and the other holding his chin in a thinking position.”That was hot!” he came over and gave me dap on my routine. I let out a breath, laughing at him geeking about my steps. “Now do that again,” he commanded wanting to learn how to do one of my steps.

We did this back and forth for about 3 hours. Afterwards we collapsed, our backs against the cool of the mirrors. Breathing heavy, looking at the scuff marks we make on the floor. Half circles and long thick thinning lines. “Man, ma you got skills! Who you dance with?” he said turning towards me.

“R.i.s.e now but back in Cali I was with a crew call ‘The Monsters’. We would do shows around the country, I moved here with my girl Paris to go to Tisch University but I wanted to get right to work when I got up here. So I auditioned for videos and some I got in others I didn’t. I bounced back and forth like that for the past 5 months. Luckily, Paris’ parents had already bought her a place big enough for both of us or I would have been going back to Cali for good. I found a job working for R.i.S.e. Paris took me to a club and the director of the program, saw me and asked me to come. I saw them and fell in love with it. And that’s my life story!” I said with a laugh ,remembering that all he asked me was who I danced with.

“CRENSHAW REID WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN AND WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT STRANGER DANGER!!!?!?!” I heard Paris coming through the door before I saw her.

“In my skin, where else?And I know his name, sooo technically he’s not a stranger ” I said to the overdramatic Paris.

“Bitch don’t get hit.OH MY GOD,CHRIS!!!” she said running to Chris,who had already got up grinning to catch her.

“How ya’ll know each other?” I thought out loud. Watching him spin her around in a hug.

“Girl, I didn’t tell you? Me and this light bright nigga go waaay back. He moved here right before his first album came out and we met up at Young Artist Promotional Carnival. Went on a few rides together and became inseparable ever since. Well until he went on tour back in April somebody forgot about people back in NY, huh?” she finished looking up at him, while he wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

“Forget you? Nah, you got into fight over me that same month. I had to Skye you for the next week to chill you the fuck out so you wouldn’t go ham on chick.” I busted out laughing at her reaction to him spilling out some news behind fighting.

We talked for the next hour telling her what we were doing since I got here. Laughing out head off like old friends. I checked my phone for the time, “Ay y’all,we been here for 5 hours. Think we can go get something to eat?” my stomach growled adding to my question. Paris laughed and pulled me up. Chris pulled on his hoodie and grabbed his bag, “I know this bomb Chinese place that as the best egg rolls in the word!”

“All you New Yorkers eat is hotdogs and Chinese.” Chris and Paris shot me a look of awe.

Then Chris retorted “All you Californians eat is hamburgers and pizza”, putting our bags in the trunk. We grabbed a taxi, squeezing into it with Chris in the middle, Paris on his left and me on his right. “Usually I say this as a good thing, but right now I don’t know if it’s good or bad. You two’all are thicker than then some damn snickers, and somebody’s booty is on hand.” He said with a real sneaky grin on his face.

“CHRIS!!!” Me and Paris yelled at the same time.

“I got TWO chicks screaming my name, at the same time? I’m a MACK!” he said cookin’ in his seat. We busted out laughing.

“Keep you hands off my ass, Chris. I’ll break yo scrawny butt with all these curves.” I threatened putting his hand in his lap.

“You promise?” he said putting his arm around my shoulders, scooting closer towards me. Still grinning like a idiot. Two seconds later the taxi hung a tight right forcing all of us to slide towards Paris.

“Ahhh, Chris you are too fat to be on me like that!” she said pushing his laughing frame off hers.

“Speaking of fat, good thing we’re here now ‘cause I could use some sweet and sour chicken right now.” I said hopping out the taxi first, avoiding having to pay. Skipping into the restaurant, hearing Paris telling Chris to pay since he squished her purse and “she couldn’t find he wallet”.

Like a gentlemen, he waited for her to find her wallet to pay the taxi driver. After that we walked inside to fill our bellies with greasy,fried, American-Oriental goodness.