Twenty-Eight: Choice's Made

“Hey!” I turned to hug Hef as I watched Chris walk towards us.“You look really good,” he said biting his bottom lip then spinning me around to check me out. Laughing I pulled one of his braids just messing, getting a devilish look he grabbed and pulled me closer. Chris slung one of his arms over Hef’s shoulders yanking him away from me.

I watched Hef’s face change from smiling to slightly annoyed, “Wassup Boy!” Chris said messing with Hef as they started to play fight.

After they were through fooling, Hef came back over to me with Chris following a few steps behind. Chris kept walking then turned to stand and hugged be from behind, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and neck.

Laughing a little, I glanced at Hef with a small smile as his face reflected as if he’d been slapped. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, it’s just a hug as far as he should know. Why is he looking at me like he is. Chris is like this with most of his girlfriends, he’s always been a touchy-feely kind of person. Fuck I hope he doesn’t know.

Someone called Chris over towards towards a group of guys on the other side of the club. A few of them popping bottles before the real party started. Chris waved at them nodding his head asking for a second.

“I’ll see you on stage man,” he said slapping Hef on the shoulder then turning to me. “And I’m gonna check out you and your girls a little later,” he moved to kiss me-seeing Hef out the corner of my eye I turned my cheek before our lips connected. He just shook his head laughing as he started on his way to Tyga and a few other people in the crowd.

“So I’m guessing I’m not your only date tonight, huh?” he asked looking anywhere but at me. Taken aback at his response, I accepted that me and Chris’ encounter was rude especially since Hef and I are suppose to be trying our hand at being together. But at this point, I haven’t heard from him in a few day so it hardly seems to be working.

“I deserved that, but date? I came here with my girls, so something like this wouldn’t happen...” I slipped out turning my head realizing what I had just said. As soon as the words were released from my tongue, Hef looked up at me, “So something like this wouldn’t happen? Like what? Like me seeing you and Chris together? So he won’t see us together? Like what Crenshaw? Explain to me what you mean!” He put me on blast, calling me out on my shit. It can’t end like this, it has to end, but this is definitely not how I pictured it.

“Know what, you and your girls can go ahead, because I didn’t sign up to be in a love triangle. I signed up to be with you. But since we obviously don’t want the same thing...” His eyes were pained but it quickly got masked with something that I hadn’t ever seen in him before. Whatever it was started making me regret every single thing Chris and I had ever done together. Oh God.

I didn’t have anything to combat what he had to me. I didn’t want to lie. I couldn’t. I won’t.

The only things that kept swirling around in my head were two miserable words.

“I’m sorry,” I continued as the words reconnected my brain with my mouth. “I am so sorry. I wasn’t thinking and I truly did not mean to hurt you.” Holding my breath waiting for his answer,I worked my damnedest to hold back the tears that wanted so bad to fall down my face.

Hef looked at me and in seconds he gripped my shoulder pulling me into his arms. Holding me as if this was the last one we were ever going to share. Gasping,air rushed into my lungs reminding me breathing was also need for my survival besides this. My hands reached up grabbing fistfuls of the back of his shirt. Praying that nothing could possibly take him away from me as long as I held him there.I have to fix this by tonight, I can’t even have him look at me like that ever again. That was unbearable.