Horny At 5 A.M.

Chapter Four: Horny At 5 A.M.

((Playlist: 21st Century Breakdown by Green Day))

Two hours later, Sophie returned home with a stack of borrowed CD's from Jackson and a plate of oatmeal cookies from Mrs. Laine. She ran upstairs with a quick, "Hi, I have a lot of homework," to her parents so they wouldn't look too closely at the CD's in her hands. That, and she didn't want to share her cookies.

Sophie shut her door and plopped down on her bed, scattering the CD's on her comforter and setting the cookies on her desk. As if on cue, her phone buzzed with a text alert from Lys.

- How was ur super hot date??? -

Sophie sighed, blushing a little. She sent back, - It wasnt a date, and it wasnt 'super hot.' -

- Yeah, ok, whatever. But how did it go??? -

Sophie replied: - We listened to a lot of music... it was actually pretty good. -

Sophie set down her phone, waiting for Lys's reply, when her phone buzzed with an incoming call. A goofy photo of Lys popped up. She picked up and immediately asked, "Why are you calling me?"

"Because my emotions cannot be properly conveyed through texts," Lys said flatly. "What did you guys listen to? Was it that weird, emo music he likes?"

"Well, yeah, it's the music he likes, but it isn't 'emo', whatever that is.  I was surprised- the lyrics are really good, save for one or two swear words."

"But you hate swearing," Lys protested.

"I do. But almost all the songs I listened to at his house aren't dirty at all," Sophie replied, grabbing a cookie and nibbling on the edge. "They were really pretty. There was this one I listened to by a band called, um-" she rifled through the CD's until she found the right one, "-uh, Panic! At The Disco. That one was really good."

"What kind of name is Panic! At The Disco? Sounds a bit weird."

"Yeah, the name is weird. I don't know how they come up with these names. There's another band called Fall Out Boy, and there's one with a girl singer called Flyleaf, and there's Green Day- he gave me a bunch of other CD's too," Sophie told her.

"Wait, so really all you did was listen to music? Girl, you need to get your priorities straight."

Sophie scowled. "Lys, there is nothing wrong with just hanging out with a guy."

"I know, I know. I have guy friends too, you know. But this is Jackson Laine."

"So?"

"So he's a notorious, guitar-wielding playboy who, according to Mikayla, has a body sculpted by a Greek god," she said. Sophie could practically hear the eye roll in her voice. "And you never even talk to guys! It's like you're scared of them!"

"I talk to Jonah," Sophie said, referring to another one of their other friends.

"Jonah doesn't count. He's like a white girl's spirit trapped inside the body of a seventeen-year-old straight white boy."

She had to laugh at that, because it rang with a kind of truth. "You're exaggerating, Lys!"

"Soph, he sent me pictures of his Starbucks order yesterday.  Nothing says 'middle class teenage girl' like a tall hazelnut macchiato with one pump toffee nut, a half pump of white chocolate mocha, and an extra pump of hazelnut."

"Alright, I see your point," Sophie conceded.

"Wait, so please tell me you at least flirted with him a bit? Right?"