Grip My Hips And Make Me Scream

Chapter 19: Grip My Hips And Make Me Scream

((Playlist: My First Kiss by 3Oh!3 feat. Ke$ha))

Lys slammed her hands down on the table, making Jonah, Sophie, and Mikayla jump.

"YOU KISSED JACKSON?!" She yelled in a shrill voice over the lunch table.

Sophie's cheeks reddened. "Geez, not so loud!"

"Oh my God. Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!" Lys was smiling so widely her cheeks could have split. "Tell me everything."

Mikayla wiped her nose on a tissue. "Looks like I missed a lot."

"Oh, you did." Lys eagerly waited for Sophie to talk. Sophie sighed and told her friends everything- the creepy Burger Barn, the apartment building, the toast, the bonfire, and finally the kiss. There were a lot of happy squealing from Lys, surprised looks from Mikayla, and slightly frightened looks from Jonah (though the fright was from Lys's frequent, fangirlish outbursts).

"Holy damn, that is adorable," Mikayla grinned. "So how was it? Amazing? Awful? Life-changing?"

Sophie laughed. "It was definitely nice. Awesome, actually." She blushed just thinking about it.

"Aww, you two are so cute together," Lys remarked, reaching over and patting Sophie's arm. "I better be best maid at your wedding."

Mikayla took a sip of her tea - which was some herbal concoction so pungent smelling it was almost offensive (however, it was supposed to help relieve cold symptoms). "I think the term you're looking for is maid of honor."

Jonah seemed to snap out of his reverie. "Wait - who's getting married?"

"Sophie and Jackson," Mikayla said, her forehead crinkling a little in thought. "I'm surprised you're a thing though. Didn't think he'd be that into you."

"Gee, thanks for having faith in me, Mikayla," Sophie replied.

"No, I mean, people say he's such a fuckboy sometimes that I don't know why he chose you, in your solid morals and such."

Lys rolled her eyes. "You're not the only one here who can get a guy, Mikayla."

Even to Sophie, her words sounded a little barbed.  Sure, Mikayla was known for her boyfriend-related drama, and notorious for spilling the tea on other's relationships as well as her own - of which there had been several, dating back to eighth grade.  Considering that she was probably the conventionally beautiful out of their little friend group, it was only logical.  However, she'd never purposely say anything to slight her friends on their lack of romantic activity.

Mikayla shrugged her remark aside, sipping her tea. "And you have room to talk, Lys? You've been single for what - sixteen years now?"

"Seventeen in a month," Lys joked lightly, "For some reason, no one's ever wanted any of this," she added, gesturing to herself vaguely.

Mikayla rolled her eyes in turn. "Gee, wonder why."

Lys scowled at Mikayla. "What are you saying?"

Mikayla just shrugged and sipped her tea again.

Lys stared at her for a minute. The table simmered, quiet with tension. Finally, Jonah cleared his throat and said, "well, good for you, Soph. Proud of you."

"Uh, thanks," Sophie said distractedly, still watching Lys and Mikayla ignore each other.

Finally, Lys looked back at Sophie and said, "so are you guys, like, a thing now?"