Queen Of Dicks

Chapter 11: Queen Of Dicks

((Playlist: Somebody Told Me by The Killers))

Several more days and rehearsals slid uneasily past, and Sophie's nervousness mounted with each one. A week and a half didn't feel like enough to prepare for her first concert, even if Jackson and the rest of the band (excluding Lilith) insisted her skills improved each rehearsal.  Not to mention, the closer she got to that fateful weekend, the more she worried about lying to her parents.  Working on a project after school?  Her parents let that story pass.  Going to the German Festival?  That would be a little trickier.

Were her mediocre lying skills up to the task?

Sophie regarded her parents as she ate dinner Thursday evening. "Hey, mom?" She asked during a lull in conversation.

"Yes?" Her mom forked some quinoa into her mouth.

She's going to see right through me, but here it goes.  "Can I hang out with Mikayla and Lys on Saturday night? They wanted to go to the German Festival."

Her mother raised her eyebrows.  "Is that where all the kids are hanging out these days?"

"I guess?"

"The German festival?" Her father scowled slightly at his fork. "Why?"

"Well, y'know." Sophie shoved her chicken around on her plate.  "Mikayla is German."

Her father frowned. "I thought Mikayla was Italian.  Her favorite foods, her huge family- not to mention her last name is 'Passinetti.'"

Sophie looked down at her food. "She said she's like 2% German. She wanted to 'experience her entire culture' or something," she lied.

Her father nodded slowly. "Right. Well, you can go. Make sure you're home by 10:30."

"I will." Sophie excused herself. As soon as she was in her room, she let out a breath of relief. I didn't know they were so... gullible? I feel bad calling them that, but geez, I don't think they even know where the German festival is.

However, just to make sure she covered her tracks well, she warned Lys at lunch the next day. "In case anyone asks you, I'm with you and Mikayla at the German Festival tonight."

"Girl," Lys took a bite of her sandwich, "You really need to get better with your lying skills. The German Festival is a bit of a stretch. Mikayla is like full-blood Italian. I'm mostly Scandinavian- I might be, like, 5% German at most."

"Where is Mikayla anyway? I wanted to tell her about this, but I haven't seen her."

"She's sick," Lys said, tutting with sympathy. "She has mono."

"Wow, that sucks," Sophie agreed, "and that puts a dent in my false plans."

Lys shrugged. "Your plans sucked anyway. I mean, the German Festival?"

Sophie sighed. "It's a long story."

Lys wiggled her eyebrows. "Are you and Jackson going to the German Festival together?"

"In a kind of roundabout way," Sophie admitted.

"Is is because he has a lederhosen fetish?" She asked, "Because, I mean, I'm open minded, but not quite that open minded, so I kind of doubt you are."

Sophie blushed. "He does not have a lederhosen fetish."

"You mean you already asked about it?" Lys gave a sly grin. "You really are making progress. I'm proud of you, my promiscuous apprentice."