Lessons in Banging

Chapter 6: Lessons in Banging

((Playlist: Teenagers by My Chemical Romance))

When they arrived, Jackson's entire house looked suspiciously empty. "Real intense rehearsal you're having," she remarked. "Where are your band mates?"

"They park around the corner. The old woman across the street always calls my mom up when there are too many cars in the driveway," he explained as he unlocked the front door. "She always thinks I'm hosting a rave or something."

"Oh."

They left the front door unlocked for the others and Jackson proceeded to raid the fridge.

"If you want something, take it," he said, cracking open a Pepsi.

"No thanks. I'm fine," she declined, leaning against the doorway awkwardly.

He gave her a suspicious look before tossing something at her. She caught it just by the tips of her fingers. Another can of soda.

"Have a drink, since you really can't take a hint," he said.

"Uhh- thanks?"

Right at that moment, the door in the front hallway swung open. She could hear footsteps coming down the hall.

"Must be them," he said.

Seconds later, the kitchen was overrun by noisy teenagers. Sophie stood against the counter, holding her can of soda for dear life. She gave Jackson a look and he said, "Hey, guys. This is Sophie."

All four people turned to Sophie and looked her up and down. Jackson pointed to a tall, African-American boy. "This is Jamal. He plays bass guitar."

A boy with shaggy black hair, pale skin, and gauges in his ears stood next to Jamal. "This is Dave. He plays the drums."

A boy with dark brown hair and doodles all over his arms was raiding the fridge. "That's Evan. He plays guitar and occasionally the recorder."

Lastly, a girl leaned against the wall. She had straight black hair with a single red stripe going down the side. Her eyeliner was dark, her clothes all black, and jewelry all suspiciously satanic-looking. "That's Lilith. She plays guitar and does back-up vocals. She also happens to be my cousin," Jackson told Sophie.

Sophie waved. "Hi. Nice to meet you."

Lilith rolled her eyes. Evan grinned and gave a friendly wave to Sophie, while Dave looked zoned out and Jamal texted. Jackson started to walk out of the kitchen. "Hurry up and get your food," he called back to his bandmates. He walked down to the basement; Sophie followed. A minute later, everyone else came down and started setting up their instruments. Lilith glanced from Sophie and back to Jackson.

"Is she going to be here the whole time?" She asked in an annoyed voice.

"Yes. Why?" Jackson replied, giving Lilith a look that dared her to challenge him.

She shrugged. "I dunno. I don't get why your girlfriend has to be here, is all."

Sophie's eyes widened. "Woah, no- I'm not-he isn't-"

"We're not dating, Child Of The Corn," Jackson said, unamused.

Lilith rolled her eyes but said nothing. As Jamal, Lilith, and Evan finished tuning their guitars, and Dave crashed his cymbals a few times, Jackson picked up a microphone and gave it a few taps.

"Okay. We all good?"

"We're good here," Lilith said into her working microphone.

Evan plucked the strings experimentally, a weak, steely twang erupting from each one. He played with a few switches on the amp. "Damn technology," he muttered, giving it a kick.