What? I Didn't Invite You Over For Netflix And Literal Chill

Chapter 20: What? I Didn't Invite You Over For Netflix And Literal Chill

((Playlist: When It Gets Dark Out by Lydia))

"Sophie, why in the world did I agree to this?!"

Sophie cradled the phone between her shoulder and her cheek, sighing deeply. "Lys, you'll be fine. Stop worrying so much."

Even though she wasn't visible, Sophie could practically see her friend rolling her eyes. "Yeah, easy for you to say- you have a hot boyfriend. All I have is a sort-of date and too many hopes. And I don't have anything to wear!"

Sophie shrugged. "It's a movie; it's going to be dark. You could dress like a bum, and he won't see you most of the time."

"I'm serious! I can't dress like a bum, but I can't look too good or it will look like I'm trying too hard."

"You'll be okay," Sophie reassured her. "Jackson and I will be over to pick you and Jonah up around 5:30, okay?"

"Okay-" Lys cut off abruptly. "OH SHIT, SOMEONE JUST RANG THE DOORBELL! OH MY FUCKING-!"

"What? Lys? Lys!" Sophie started shouting to cut through her hysteria. "What's going on? A home invasion?"

"No, Jonah's here- SHIT!"

"Isn't he a little early?"

"I told him to come early, so we could uh- chill."

Sophie raised her eyebrows. "'Chill'?"

"Actual chill, you sicko."

"Please at least tell me you're dressed."

"Uhh- kind of," Lys pauses, "I'm rummaging through my closet wearing pajama pants and a sports bra."

Before Sophie could reply, the line went dead. Lys had hung up.

Sophie put her phone down and figured she should get dressed, too. Living up to Lys's advice of 'not dressing like a bum, but not looking like I'm trying too hard' she picked out a pair of nice jeans, flats, and a white cardigan. She knew Lys would be wearing lots of makeup (as she usually did) but as Sophie only had one eyeliner and some foundation, she put those on and skipped downstairs.

Amy was sitting on the couch, eating a bowl of cornflakes and texting. Sophie twirled dramatically in front of her with a grin. Amy put down her phone and gestured to her with her spoon. "You look nice. Going somewhere?"

"I told mom and dad I was going to the movies with Lys, but it's actually a double date," Sophie told her, not having to whisper because their parents were out.

"Oh yeah, I forgot you told me about that!" Amy looked her outfit up and down. "You look cute!"

"Aw, thanks."

"But it needs a little more. Hang on." Amy put down her cereal and ran up stairs. A minute later, she bounded back into the living room with a makeup bag.

"You need some mascara. Did you want some lipstick, too?" Amy started to dig around in the bag.

"Sure. But not too much," she added quickly. "It's just a movie."

"I got you. Close your eyes." Sophie did, and Amy began to apply mascara. When she was done, she put some light pink lipstick on Sophie's lips and handed her a small mirror. "What do you think?"

Sophie looked at herself in the mirror. "Woah, I actually look good," she said in surprise. "You need to teach me how to do this sometime."

"I will," Amy laughed. "I'll get you some makeup for Christmas."