That Lingerie Would Look Great On My Bedroom Floor

Chapter 25: That Lingerie Would Look Great On My Bedroom Floor

((Playlist: Girl Crush by New Politics))

"So your parents are outgrowing their homophobia? I'm proud of them," Lys said as they worked on a packet during class the next day.

Sophie nodded. "It's great. I think Amy is surprised by how well it went."

They spent a few minutes working on the questions before Lys said, "hey, before I forget, do you want to go prom dress shopping with me this Saturday? My mom's pressuring me to get a dress, and I don't like to go with her because she's really judgmental of what I wear."

Sophie grinned conspiratorially. "Did someone ask you to go to prom with him?"

Lys raised her eyebrows. "Not yet, but I'm hopeful."

"He better hurry. Prom is in what- two months?"

"Two months from now will be summer, you weirdo. Actually, it's like two weeks after the talent show."

"Darn. That's less than a month away."

"Maybe I'll ask him myself," Lys shrugged, though a faint blush crept onto her cheeks. "His hair was so soft yesterday."

Sophie laughed, remembering how puzzled Jonah had looked. "He looked so confused after you did that."

"What I wouldn't give to do it again," she sighed. Then she perked up. "Maybe I will at lunch today. He's gotta take the hint at some point, right?"

"I think you'll have to be a little more forward with him," Sophie said. "He's one of those guys who doesn't take a romantic hint unless you slap him in the face repeatedly with it."

"Well, asking him to prom is pretty forward," Lys decided. "I'm gonna do it. I'm going to throw all my inhibitions behind me and ask that boy to prom!"

"You go!" Sophie gave her a thumbs-up.

"Has Jackson asked you yet?" Lys asked.

"Not yet. He will though," she added with certainty. "I mean, who else would he take?"

"True, true. But are you coming dress shopping?"

"Hmmm. I don't know..." Sophie grinned as she pretended to think about it.

"Come on! We can go to Cinnabon," she sang.

Sophie laughed. "You know me too well."

"That's what best friends are for: knowing every single thing about each other." She doodled a smiley face on Sophie's hand. "So you're coming?"

"Of course! I need a dress too," Sophie said.

The girls continued making plans throughout most of class, and when the bell rang at the end, they walked to lunch together.

"When do you want me to pick you up Saturday?" Lys asked as they sat down.

"How does eleven sound?" Sophie asked. "And then we grab lunch and... I don't know, gossip or whatever teenagers do."

Before she could answer, Mikayla sat down. "Where you guys going?" She asked.

"Prom dress shopping," Sophie replied.

"Oooh! Sounds fun! Can I come with?"

Lys shrugged, taking a sip of her water. "The more, the merrier," she said.

"If you still have room in your car, I could totally invite Taylor Mirandez to come with us," Mikayla chirped. "She really knows how to pick a dress."