The Best Form Of Serendipity Is Car Sex

Chapter 23: The Best Form Of Serendipity Is Car Sex

((Playlist: Days Like Masquerades by The Academy Is...))

Sophie flopped down on her sofa after Jackson dropped her off at her house. "Hello to you too," Amy commented as she walked by the living room.

"Oh, hey." Sophie buried her face in the cushion and flipped on the TV.

"Someone's looking a little tired. And blushy," Amy added with a smirk. "Have you and your Punk Romeo been doing something fun?"

Sophie sat up. "We're doing the school talent show and wrote a whole new song today," she said.

Amy nearly dropped her mug of tea. "The talent show? That's probably one of the most dangerous things you can do at that school, besides maybe selling crack cocaine."

"But there's a prize this year besides the imminent fear of injury," Sophie continued with a mystic air. "$500."

"Damn." Amy raised her eyebrows. "Well, that would cover your hospital bill- granted you have insurance, that is."

Sophie hurled a pillow at her sister. "Geez, Amy, I'm not gonna die!"

"No, you won't die. You'll just break your entire leg or get really bad whiplash or dislocate your shoulder or something," Amy sighed. "Seriously though, that show is cursed. You and your boyfriend be careful out there."

"Oh, come on," Sophie said. "What's the worst that could happen to us? Anyone who's done the show in the past has lived to tell the tale."

Amy sat down beside her sister on the couch, nursing a bowl of popcorn and a bottle of mountain dew. "Let's see - you could stab yourself with your own drum sticks. Punk Rock Romeo could take a guitar pick to the eye, and I don't think you want to date a guy with an eyepatch."

Sophie took a handful of popcorn. "With all the other kids entering this, I'm sure someone else will take the brunt of the curse." She popped a piece in her mouth. "Probably a freshman."

Amy rolled her eyes good-naturedly. "For your sake, I hope so. Is anyone else you know in the show?"

"Lys is going to be MC. Mikayla is doing... a poetry reading? Beatboxing? I don't know, but she's doing something. And i think Jonah is playing a clarinet thing."

Amy made the sign of the cross over her chest. "Bless your souls. May you rest in peace."

Sophie poked her. "Do you think mom and dad would object to me missing dinner tomorrow so the band could pull a double rehearsal?"

"No, but I do."

"Why?"

"How could you forget?" Amy held a hand to her chest, feigning offense. "My lovely fiancee is coming for dinner tomorrow, and I demand that you meet her."

"Right, I forgot!" Sophie stole some more popcorn. "I look forward to meeting my new sister-in-law."

Amy smiled wanly. "At least someone's excited."

"Are mom and dad-"

Before she could finish, their mother walked in the room. "Hi, sweetie. Glad you're home. How was lacrosse practice with Lys?"

"Err-" Sophie cleared her throat awkwardly, "Actually, I was at-"

She was interrupted again, this time, by her phone's ringtone. She pulled it out of her pocket. Lys.

"Sorry, give me a sec," she muttered, walking up to her room before answering.

"Lys? What's up?"