➰17➰

The moment Meliorn opens the portal, my heart begins to beat faster, my hands begin to sweat and I am nervous. I don't know the reason, but I guess I am a bit scared of being sucked into that dimension forever. The wind is whipping my hair into my face and making my eyes water, but I determinedly look at the purple gates. The way that will take me to the dimension where everything is perhaps perfect, or awful. A dimension, that can show me the way we could have lived otherwise. And I am scared. Scared of seeing George, scared of seeing my mother and scared as hell of seeing us with Alec together...

The last one is probably the most I dread most. Because I can find my brother somehow, or the way I hate my mother won't change just because in other dimension she is a better one to us, just the opposite, I will hate her even deeper. But with Alec... It will show me something that I can't have, that is forbidden, and I don't know whether my heart will be able to take it or not.

"Ivy? Meliorn says you have to move" Alec's confused voice breaks my train of panicked thoughts and I turn to look at him. I can see worry all over his face, but I try to act nonchalantly. I take a deep breath and try to calm down myself. But as I take a step forward, Alec's hand shoot out to grip mine. He tugs me a little bit to himself and I look up at his beautiful eyes.

"Are... Are you sure? You don't have to do this" he murmurs softly, suddenly all the barrier gone from his eyes and I almost give up. Almost.

"Yeah, I am sure" I say hesitantly, and he gives a defeated sigh nodding his head.

"Please.. Be careful... And.. Take this. Maybe it will help you to stay intact..." he says, stretching me a leather bracelet, with some runes beautifully drawn on it. Vulnerability flashes through his eyes as I hesitantly take the beautiful thing into my hand and clasp it around my wrist.

"Thank you" I whisper looking up at him, but he avoids the eye contact, looking at the bracelet now on my wrist.

"Just... Come back, Ivy" he says and I think this is one of those moments when I have a heart attack. I can't seem to say anything, so I just nod my head and give him a slight smile. And then I move forward, breaking our contact and throwing myself into the portal before changing my mind.

The moment I step in, I am in some kind of a house that I don't recognize. It is big and all white, and rich. I search for some kind of photographs, but there are none. The sound of a door slamming makes me jump a little and I turn to the door to be met with different looking Nora. So my mother is absent in this life too. My eyes widen at the sight of her: she is beautiful, breathtaking even, and her smile is bright when she sees me. She is... Happy... Her hair is still long and black, her eyes are blue, but they are different blue, clearer, brighter.

"Ivy, hey, I didn't know you were at home! Shouldn't you be at some kind of a gathering with your friends?" She asks shrugging off her jacket and coming to hug me. I stay rooted to my place, because this is the first time Nora has hugged me. She is not a person of emotion. She never says she loves me or she never hugs me. Only little gestures like giving me medicine without asking whenever I am in pain (it seems like she feels every time I feel pain), or helping me sometimes with my homework, and things like these that make me understand she cares. So, being hugged by her is the first surprise I get in his dimension.

I close my eyes and finger the bracelet on my wrist. This is not real... This is not reals, don't get used to it... I chant over and over again in my head until Nora breaks the hug.

"Really? I may have forgotten. Then I got to go" I say hurriedly without waiting for her reply and rush through the front door into the yard. Warm weather hits my face as soon as I exit the house, and as I take my phone thinking about who to call, Simon decides to do it instead of me.