16. Torture and Arguments.

THEA

What do you get when you have at least two hours of proper rest in a comfy bed and then an ability to evade sleep when you get woken up? A very tired body and a really groggy mind.

Nakaupo ako sa may sofa set sa may balcony Friday Morning, not believing that I was once again out of my classes, unexcused. I don’t even know why I was there, but the fact that it was a weekday and that I was actually not in school seemed to take a lot of my thinking capacity.

Seriously, kung kailan naman ako pa-graduate na, saka naman ako threatening na bumagsak sa grades.

“Iced Tea, Honey?” tanong ni Mama sa akin.

I just yawned and then rubbed my eyes. It was already 10 AM, and I was just too tired to actually go take a bath, hence explaining kung bakit naka travel clothes pa ako. I had just enough sense to think about actually brushing my teeth and washing my face.

“How about some cake, Sugar?” tanong naman ni Tita Angie sa akin.

The whole house was a little quiet. Of course, may pasok sila Ate Nic and Ate Katie, the former being junior and the latter graduating in college. DJ and Ninay were nowhere to be found; high school would definitely have classes being Friday. Sila Liam and Eddie would be back sa Cavite, to be back for the weekend again and Ric-chan was at Grade school.

Somewhere in the house, tulog sila Kuya Kenneth at Kuya Mac. Kuya Gab would be up in the room he shared with Kuya Max (Ate Katie’s older brother), no doubt sleeping. And of course, Jake would be somewhere I don’t care.

Personally, my job of being civil just amped up dahil hindi niya ako tigilan.

Iniisip ko nga he’s doing it on purpose to annoy me. Kung akala niyang simpleng nagtatampo lang ako sa kanya, nagkakamali siya.

“Sugar and Honey.” Sabi ko in response sa kanilang dalawa.

Tinignan ako ng dalawang matanda. “Thea, dear?”

“Please.” Sabi ko, yawning again.

Both of them laughed. And I don’t have any idea why.

“Nak, I know you’re a little low on energy, but I don’t want you to get diabetic.” Sabi ni Mama, giving me a serving of cake and Tita Angie gives me a glass of Iced Tea.

My mind is seriously non-functional. Tinanggap ko nalang yung pagkain saka naman hinawakan yung glass ng juice sa kamay ko. Pinakinggan ko lang silang dalawa na naguusap dun saka nagisip ng gagawin ko.

I was certainly not going to go and dance like they want me to, especially not with Jake. I don’t even want to be in the same room as him if the situation allowed. Unfortunately, the situation rarely allowed that.

On the other hand, I still had to check up with the printing press because sabi nila okay na daw for pickup yung papers by Sunday afternoon, get the remaining baby pictures that I’m starting to get annoyed with, and then make sure that my staff had their writing assignments for the third and last paper.