43. Surprise surprise

*KATIE*

I did expect anyone to forget my birthday.

With everything that has been happening this week with Thea, yung drama nila Gab, yung concern nila Tita Valerie at nila Mama Cecile about the former, aasahan ko pa ba na maaalala nila?.

I wasn’t that vain about it anyways. Hindi ako yung tipo ng tao na naglolook forward to the date.

Frankly, sometimes, I even forget that it’s my birthday. Tthe early greeting cards lang na dumating sa akin last Saturday were the only things that reminded me of the date. Needless to say, I didn’t have expect anything at all.

 And I was right, no one even remembered my birthday. Walang greeting, no text message from the family. Mga kaibigan ko lang sa labas ang nakaalala and a few of my college classmates. All greeting messages.

Pero so far, wala sa mga Alcantara ang nakaalala. I even dropped by kanina sa bahay and they were all out.

Naturally dahil may mga pasok. I called Tita Val and it went directly on voicemail, so hindi ko nalang sila pinuntaha sa office, instead, I took some more clothes and then saka naman umalis na agad sa property.

Kararating ko lang sa resort, and naabutan ko pa si Joan na may tinatype pa sa computer sa may front desk, Dale greeted me good evening like always,

“How’s everything so far, Joan.”

Nag nod lang si Joan, pero hindi siya samagot. Tapos bumalik siya sa pagtratrabaho niya. Si Dale naman di na ako pinansin.

“Nasan nga pala si Sir Rob ninyo?

Walang sumagot sa akin. Umalis na si Dale, taking some empty glasses towards the dining room, habang si Joan naman parang di ako narinig. I shrugged, deeming them busy.

Napatingin ako sa relo ko, seeing quarter past six. Dinner at home was always 7 PM. Paalam ko lang sa note ko, before dinner. I would need to see them soon, or there’ll be questions.

Pero ngayon, kailangan ko munang makausap si Rob. It wasn’t healthy on how we were secretly doing this behind Kuya Max and the family, and with Thea and Jake and the whole staff in it on the secret, it’s not gonna have a good end-result once this blows over,

I knock three times before sighing and opening the door.

“Hey, can I speak to you for a mo—“ 

Napatigil ako with all the chaos that’s in the room. The sofa and the chairs were disarrayed, yung mga papel naka kalat sa floor, and the desk was pushed back sa far wall.

May isang figure na nakahiga sa may gitna, near the coffee table, dressed in a green plaid polo shirt and denim shorts. I immediately rush papunta sa kanya.

“Thea?!” sabi ko, and then turned her over. “Oh god!”

A fresh cut was bleeding from her left palm but what concerned me was the side of her head, a trail of blood now dried,  trickled down probably a while, from the top of her head.

“Thea?? Wake up, bunso.” Sabi ko, tapping her cheek lightly. “Bunso.”

She groans and her eyes flutter. Her eyes travel around the room before she attempts to sit up. I help her, putting a hand around her shoulders.

“Ugh… My head.” Sabi niya, clutching the side of her head. “Is that… Is that my blood?”

“Ano bang nangyari dito? This whole place is a mess!”