36. Comfort

*JAKE*

I woke up, feeling a little weight at my left side and a warm presence in my arms. I look down and then realized I had dozed off.

 Tinignan ko yung relo ko, seeing it flashing half past ten, meaning I’ve been laying here for about an hour and a half already with Thea in my arms. She was still sleeping, her head on my chest while her arms draped over me.

Hinawi ko lang yung buhok niya Ang ganda niyang pagmasdan habang tulog. She looked so peaceful, like she didn’t have any care in the world when in reality, it was the opposite. She had plans, plans about everything. And for once, even just in her sleep she doesn’t.

I trail my fingers down sa pisngi niya, feeling the soft skin on her face. God, I really missed her. I was tempted to kiss her lips at the moment, but I knew that I can’t do so without waking her up.

Carefully, I slid out of her embrace and then out of the bed, putting back the covers over her. I hear her groan. Naupo lang ako sa gilid ng kama. It was a queen sized bed, so I freely did so without any worry na magigising siya with the weight.

I scanned the room. I easily got her one of the biggest and grandest rooms in the resort, para lang masure na comportable sila. Across the place was my room, similar sa kanya, so I could easily see if there was anything wrong.

If it was up to Thea, she’d sleep in the shore for all she cares. She wouldn’t care, and she’d be happy building a tent in the sand. She was simple that way. Even when we were kids, with all the riches she had, she didn’t mind rolling in the dirt.

Nahagip ng mata ko yung phone niya na nasa bedside table. I remember putting it there after I kicked off my shoes last night. Binigay sa akin ni Kuya Rob, saying she left it on the table in the dining hall kagabi.

Glancing back at Thea to make sure she’s still asleep, I pushed the power button on.                                            

Bumungad sa akin was our picture on the gardens. Nakaupo kami sa grass and I had her sit down on my crossed legs while I hugged her from the back. Nakapatong yung ulo ko sa balikat niya and she was holding the camera away from both of us.

We looked so happy back then. And we weren’t even official.

We were just two friends who knew how each other felt for them. I unlocked the phone, happy that she hadn’t changed her passcode and sent the picture sa phone ko through Bluetooth.

I was about to close the phone pero biglang may nag pop na message.

Bitchpren:

You’re not killing yourself are you?

Nagulat ko. What did she mean kill herself? Did I hurt her that much she wants herself to be dead? Napalingon ako kay Thea, who was still asleep before going back to her phone.

I knew it was bad to snoop, but I had to see.

Bitchpren:

I have this feeling. Are you sad? Call me.

Bitchpren:

I’m glad to hear you’re fine. But could you at least take more than five seconds to tell me that? That was your sad voice. WHAT’S WRONG?

Thea:

I’m fine. And that’s not my sad voice. That was my tired voice.