23. By Heart

I've got a terror professor for humanities that we think is an extra terrestrial from outer space. 

Yeah, that's the meds talking. 

Chapter 23 here. 

---

*JAKE*

“Pupusta ako na galing yan ng sa training nila ng team nila.” Sabi ni Kuya Gab habang nakatingin kami kay Thea who was sleeping peacefully sa hospital bed.

Sorpresa sana namin ni Ninay ang pagluwas naming apat nila Kuya Mark at DJ papuntang Manila para sa weekend. I wasn’t going to wait until next week para makita si Thea and Kuya Mark had to pass something sa BIR kaya I saw the opportunity and asked Mama Angie kung pwede akong sumama.

My mom smiles at me though, looks meaningfully kay Tita Val, who was rolling her eyes by the way, and then saka ako nginitian and agreed. Si Ninay naman said that ‘it’s not fair for Ate Thea’ kung siya lang lagi ang nagpapagod na lumuluwas para makita sila, so DJ and her tagged along.

Ang ineexpect lang talaga namin, kami ang sosorpresa kay Thea when she comes down her room to go prepare her breakfast. We didn’t quite expect her to walk in on us from the front door.

“Training?” DJ asks.
“Captain si Thea ng volleyball team ng school nila.” Explain ni Kuya Gab. “They go training every weekends too.”
“Parang an gaga naman ng training nay un.”

“They take Saturday jogs from 5:30 to 7:00.” He explains again and the two younger ones nod in agreement. “The bigger mystery for me was why was she crying exactly? Thea doesn’t cry.”
“Misteryo kaya yun sa ating lahat.”
Ninay says while she comes near.

She smiles at the handing us cups of coffee again, and a can of coke kay DJ. Halos alas tres nan g hapon and I took out Ninay and DJ for lunch kanina habang kausap ni Kuya Gab at Kuya Mark yung doctor. Kuya Mark was currently taking care of the hospital bills and documents.

“Anong lahat?” DJ says, popping his can. “Yung isa jan kaya, baka may alam.”

Uminom lang ako ng kape habang nakatingin sa paligid. It took me a while na marealize na ako pala yung tinutukoy ni DJ dahil nakatinign silang tatlo sa akin.

“Ako?”
“You’re the one she went to before she collapsed.”
Sabi ni DJ

Kuya Gab nods. “And by the way you’re comforting her, I think  you know more than we do.” He says.

The truth was, wala rin akong idea kung bakit umiiyak si Thea. Aside from the surprise na nanggaling siya sa labas nung nakita namin siya kaninang umaga, I was more shocked when she came to me and then started to cry.

“They earned it.”

That was all she said as she cried. I didn’t exactly know what was ‘it’ and who ‘they’ were, that moment, all I can think of was that I wanted her to stop crying and for her to tell me what exactly was making her sad so I can stop it.