34. Sadness

*KATIE*

If it was bad to have a very mad Thea around, it was agonizing to have a very quiet Thea around.

She didn’t portray any emotion at all, para lang siyang distracted. If you could call it being distracted. She was more like a straightforward quiet thing. She can’t even be called human because no human is ever like that.

Sasagot siya when you ask something, but she never volunteers anything herself. At the table, she eats, and then when everyone’s finished, nakikita nalang yung plate niya, food barely touched and seat abandoned with her utensils lined perfectly.

Sobrang tahimik niya that you won’t even notice she’s there all along. Nagulat kami ni Ate She noon nung bigla nalang bumukas yung pinto and when we looked  back, we didn’t see anything, only the door being closed. 

Thea never seems to be in a room for a span of hour. She’d switch from one place to another, silently minsan kaya usually hindi namin napapansin. Akala namin multo, only to learn that it was just Thea who left the room.

Three days of observation she’s like that. Kahit sila Mama Cecile nag aalala na.

“Lack of Appetite, Deep thoughtful expressions, withdrawal from people, loss of interest in everything.  It’s all signs of depression.”

That was the explanation ni Ate She sa amin by Thursday Morning habang nakaupo kami sa living room. Thea was upstairs, cooped up in her room (we checked so we could be sure)

“It’s not good for her. I know she’s smart but at times like this, makakasama ito.”

“Hindi parin ba sila nag uusap ni Jake?” tanong ni Mama Cecile. “I saw him a couple of times here, don’t tell me—“

“—She’s pushing everyone away, Ma.” Sabi ni Kuya Max quickly says. “It’s not like Jake hadn’t tried reaching out. Lahat kami trinatry.”

“And what happened?” Tanong ni Tita Janice. 

“Even Jake gave up.” sabi ko.

That was bad. we knew na hindi basta  bastang sumusuko si Jake. Lalo na kung involved anfg kapakanan ni Thea. Natahimik ang lahat. Yung dalawang matanda, natingin lang sa amin.

“You mean, she hadn’t even talked to anyone?” 

“Not by her own, no.” I tell them.

Biglang bumukas yung front door and from the hall, naririnig namin ang boses ni Tita Angie at Tita Valerie. Saktong pagdaan nila sa living room nung tawagin sila ni Tita Janice.

“Ate Valerie, can we talk to you and Ate Angie for a second.” Sabi ni Tita Janice.

Kagagaling nila somewhere, dressed in sundresses and in Tita Angie’s case, wearing sunglasses like they’ve gone strolling down Hollywood street.