Chapter 19

I woke up to the nearly unbearable sensation of pins and needles. That feeling you get when one of your limbs when you sit or lay in a certain way for so long that it cuts off the blood flow. I shifted a bit, trying to make the sensation go away however, that only made it worse but at least I could move. Suddenly, I was pulled back to my original position by a pair of strong arms encircling that I had failed to notice.

"Just where do you think you're going, dove?"

"I want to get up and go for a little walk."

"And why would that be? I am rather comfortable with you where you are now."

"Because I want to reawaken my limbs and check on the hatchlings. They're probably starving."

"I can go do that for you. You stay here and rest. What do baby dragons eat anyway?"

"Normally the same way that baby birds eat but we're going to have to find a different way."

"That's revolting. Can't you turn into a dragon and feed them or something?"

"You can too, you know. I thought you wanted me to rest anyway."

"You're the one who knows how to feed them. How did you feed Kayerith?"

"By the time I got her, she was able to survive on multiple solid foods and I didn't have to find a way around it. These ones are newborns and have to be fed with liquid or semi-digested food."

"Then give them milk."

"They can't survive in milk alone."

"Then what do you suggest?"

"I don't know. I can't turn into anything powerful at the moment and won't be able to for some time thanks to Frigga which is why I suggested that you turn into the dragon–"

"Fine! I'll feed them. But as soon as you're able, you're taking over."

"Fine. Go eat some raw meat and meet me in the gardens in half an hour."

"You're going to walk?"

"I'm going to try and if I don't make it, you can always pick me up and take me the rest of the way."

"Do I have to feed them?"

"Are you squeamish?"

"No, it's just–"

"You're squeamish. Glad we cleared that up. Just make sure you're a dragon when you eat the raw meat, otherwise you'll get major food poisoning."

"So happy this is safe for me. If I do happen to make that mistake, I'll just kiss you and then you'll get it too." I hit him on the arm.

"You wouldn't."

"Try me."

"I don't think so. Have fun and I'll see you in half an hour!" I threw off the covers and leapt out of bed only to collapse on the floor.

"Arista?"

"I'm fine. My legs didn't like being used so suddenly." I got up slowly, using the bed to support my weight and transfer it bit by bit onto my feet.

"Perhaps you would like me to transport you there. That way you don't overstrain yourself."

"I'm fine, thanks."

"I wasn't asking, however I would recommend changing into...more appropriate attire." That's when I realized that I was still dressed in a skimpy nightgown. I looked back up at him and then back down at my outfit.

"I'll be right back." I grabbed one of my casual maxi dresses from Earth out of my closet and raced to the bathroom where I quickly stripped out of my nightgown and proceeded to bathe for the first time in almost two weeks.